• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY-Divorce /Real Estate Sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nyadviceseeker

New York-
A friend is having a very difficult time getting his ex to cooperate in the sale of their home. They were divorced six months ago, while divorce filing occured 18 months ago when he moved out while she lived and continues to live on the property. The agreement called for listing the house, which after getting the lawyers involved again, was listed however, through a realtor of her choice. My buddy has asked the realtor to notify him of potential buyers, to lower the asking price, etc. but the realtor does not answer his calls nor informs him of anything in relation to the matter. In the meantime, his ex is going through family health issues which she claims keep her from managing the sale of the house and refuses to allow the realtor or my buddy to show the house while she's not around. The divorce also stipulated that my friend pays all house related expenses-mortgage, utilities- until the house is sold.

It's obviously not in her own best interest to move this sale forward but honestly our buddy has run out of money to continue paying these expenses while there is no movement on selling this property. What can he do? What legal recourse does he have to get his ex to sell the property?

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">