• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY Divorce- Serving papers?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Ingman

Hello all,

I'm not in this situation but I do need your advice to help my friend.

My friend (Joe) moved in with this girl(Sara) who has two kids (ok ok, cut the sarcasm, I dunno why, but he did). The girl was married to an Ecstacy drug dealer till he was jailed for some reason. The dude is now and still in jail. Here's the situation. Sara wants to get a divorce and spoke with an attorney. The attorney has all these papers to file to get this divorce going. Since the husband in jail, he said he will refuse to sign the papers. Sara, now has to take a trip to the jail to see this jerk and serve the papers. I thought that the Sherriff or someone has to serve the papers..not the person filing!!!?!?!??! I think its a stupid idea for her to go, but who should file the papers?

thanks

A-

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">