• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obtaining a court date in NC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smilinnurse2003

I live in Caldwell County, NC. Over 30 days ago I filed for an absolute divorce by filing my complaint with the clerk of court. I elected to have the sherriff serve the summons (which was served over 30 days ago). Now, I don't know how to get the court date. When I called the clerk of court to tell her that my ex had been served and I needed a court date she said...well, do what you need to do to get one--your the one not using an attorney. She was not helpful in the least. Do I simply take proof that the complaint was served and go ask for a courtdate or is additional information needed? I have many friends who have filed their own divorces in other counties and had no problems whatsoever. When I first asked about filing the divorce myself the same clerk said...in this county you need an attorney. Please help! Thanks.

LdiJ

smilinnurse2003 said:
I live in Caldwell County, NC. Over 30 days ago I filed for an absolute divorce by filing my complaint with the clerk of court. I elected to have the sherriff serve the summons (which was served over 30 days ago). Now, I don't know how to get the court date. When I called the clerk of court to tell her that my ex had been served and I needed a court date she said...well, do what you need to do to get one--your the one not using an attorney. She was not helpful in the least. Do I simply take proof that the complaint was served and go ask for a courtdate or is additional information needed? I have many friends who have filed their own divorces in other counties and had no problems whatsoever. When I first asked about filing the divorce myself the same clerk said...in this county you need an attorney. Please help! Thanks.
I would try calling again, you may get someone else the next time that will be more helpful.

However, it sounds to me like you have a judge who doesn't like people filing without an attorney. That could come back to haunt you. You may want to reconsider hiring an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">