• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ohio dissolution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

i was the one that decided i wanted a divorce from my husband. we have 1 child together. for financial reasons we have both agreed on going through with a dissolution. i went out and bought a lawpak and quite frankly doing this on my own is very confusing.

am i required to file a separation agreement? the form from the lawpak only states we are living apart and that is not the case.

we have 1 car that is not paid off and in both our names. can we keep it that way? the agreement we have made thus far is i use it as my way of getting to work. once i have the chance to purchase a car of my own i will then relinquish my part of ownership back to him.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

i was the one that decided i wanted a divorce from my husband. we have 1 child together. for financial reasons we have both agreed on going through with a dissolution. i went out and bought a lawpak and quite frankly doing this on my own is very confusing.

am i required to file a separation agreement? the form from the lawpak only states we are living apart and that is not the case.

we have 1 car that is not paid off and in both our names. can we keep it that way? the agreement we have made thus far is i use it as my way of getting to work. once i have the chance to purchase a car of my own i will then relinquish my part of ownership back to him.
For a dissolution you are required to file a separation agreement AND shared parenting plan. Whose name is the car loan? And in order to get a dissolution you need to be living separately.

nextwife

And in order to get a dissolution you need to be living separately.
As someone who deals with default loans, I see THIS requirement as financially irresponsible.

Many couples, together, are stretched to cover their payments. They should not be legally forced to be in seperate households, at least until they have disposed of the jointly mortgaged debt. I see too many divorcing couples filing BK JUST because they have to be in two seperate households to divorce, and they can't afford to maintain two while they have the house payments together.

Couples are forced to choose either abandoning the home or delay starting a divorce.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
As someone who deals with default loans, I see THIS requirement as financially irresponsible.

Many couples, together, are stretched to cover their payments. They should not be legally forced to be in seperate households, at least until they have disposed of the jointly mortgaged debt. I see too many divorcing couples filing BK JUST because they have to be in two seperate households to divorce, and they can't afford to maintain two while they have the house payments together.

Couples are forced to choose either abandoning the home or delay starting a divorce.
I said they need to be living separately. I didn't say two different houses/apartments/residences.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So they can live in different rooms at the same address?
It has been done. One has lived on the top floor and the other in the basement and they share the bathroom and kitchen but buy different food. Some also get post office boxes. The court accepts that as separate if the couple can prove poverty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">