• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ohio Dissolution Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cincynewbie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

The moving party was a former resident of Ohio, and was married there, but now lives in Georgia. Her husband still lives in Ohio; can she still file for a dissolution in Ohio and what are the requirements for this? (I'm aware of the sixth-month residency prior to filing requirement but know nothing about this circumstance)

single317dad

The moving party was a former resident of Ohio, and was married there, but now lives in Georgia. Her husband still lives in Ohio; can she still file for a dissolution in Ohio and what are the requirements for this? (I'm aware of the sixth-month residency prior to filing requirement but know nothing about this circumstance)
You've answered your own question. Ohio requires a 6-month residency immediately prior to filing a divorce. That means for the 182-ish days previous to filing the papers, the petitioner must have been an Ohio resident.

The husband can file in Ohio.

Cincynewbie

You've answered your own question. Ohio requires a 6-month residency immediately prior to filing a divorce. That means for the 182-ish days previous to filing the papers, the petitioner must have been an Ohio resident.

The husband can file in Ohio.

Wife cannot file in Ohio then? Must file in Georgia?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes, if she has established legal residency in Georgia, that is where she should file.
Not for a dissolution. WHY? Because a dissolution is filed together by BOTH parties. So if the couple wants a dissolution, husband can be listed first and wife second and they both file together after reaching agreement on every issue.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Does she want a dissolution or divorce?

single317dad

Not for a dissolution. WHY? Because a dissolution is filed together by BOTH parties. So if the couple wants a dissolution, husband can be listed first and wife second and they both file together after reaching agreement on every issue.
I'm beginning to think Ohio might be the "California of the East", a title I previously reserved for NY. Whoever decided dissolution and divorce are two different things should be publicly humiliated.

Consider me corrected. :eek:

LdiJ

I'm beginning to think Ohio might be the "California of the East", a title I previously reserved for NY. Whoever decided dissolution and divorce are two different things should be publicly humiliated.

Consider me corrected. :eek:
If you think about it more on the basis of dissolution=jointly filed uncontested divorce...it less confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">