• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ohio divorce laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I saw on another thread that New York is a state that if your spouse commits infidelity you can file for a fast divorce. Does Ohio have a law like that ? If yes what does it take to actually prove infidelity ? Picture proof, cell phone records, e-mail logs ? I have asked to see her cell records and she claims to always throw them out, cell plan is in her name and Verizon refuses to show me any records, so at this time I have no tangable proof

If I can prove infidelity and couple that with her voluntarily moving out of our home and leaving me to care for our kids (17 and 15) can I avoid paying spousal support? (20 year marriage, $98,000 difference in incomes, my salary being the largest).

Thanks

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I saw on another thread that New York is a state that if your spouse commits infidelity you can file for a fast divorce. Does Ohio have a law like that ? If yes what does it take to actually prove infidelity ? Picture proof, cell phone records, e-mail logs ? I have asked to see her cell records and she claims to always throw them out, cell plan is in her name and Verizon refuses to show me any records, so at this time I have no tangable proof

If I can prove infidelity and couple that with her voluntarily moving out of our home and leaving me to care for our kids (17 and 15) can I avoid paying spousal support? (20 year marriage, $98,000 difference in incomes, my salary being the largest).

Thanks
Just how do you think cell phone records prove adultery? She's allowed to talk with anyone she wants to talk with. About the only thing that would work is a reputable eye witness or photographs of her actually having sex with someone (just showing that she had dinner with someone or someone came to her house wouldn't work). Or, if she admits it in court.

If she left the kids with you, you can ask for (and probably receive) child support.

Ohio does not appear to have a law which eliminates spousal support in the event of adultery. However, the relevant statute says that the judge can consider "Any other factor that the court expressly finds to be relevant and equitable. " In the unlikely chance that you can prove adultery, you can always ask the judge. Someone else here will have to tell you how likely it is that you'll get your request.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ohio doesn't require a waiting period for a divorce like other states do. You file and then show why you want a divorce. You can be divorced in as little as three months. Or it can take over a year depending on issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">