• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it ok to delay the divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ginevra

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My previous marriage, I spent a lot of time and money only to have my then husband refuse to sign even the most fair decree. We divorced when he finally decided he was ready to sign, despite my having moved out early on and us both having moved on with our lives. He had the power to hold it up, and sign at his leisure.

Now, I may be facing another divorce but we're not 100% sure we want to. It has been filed, and we have yet to fill out the property worksheets; we have temporary custody orders in place but everything else is pending (not progressing). I don't want to divorce, and I think he is also dragging his feet for the same reason. My question is if this is bad; if it is inconveniencing my lawyer at all? Any possible repercussions of just sitting on it for a while? We MAY opt to reconcile but would want it on a solid foundation, which may take months.

Silverplum

My previous marriage, I spent a lot of time and money only to have my then husband refuse to sign even the most fair decree. We divorced when he finally decided he was ready to sign, despite my having moved out early on and us both having moved on with our lives. He had the power to hold it up, and sign at his leisure.

Now, I may be facing another divorce but we're not 100% sure we want to. It has been filed, and we have yet to fill out the property worksheets; we have temporary custody orders in place but everything else is pending (not progressing). I don't want to divorce, and I think he is also dragging his feet for the same reason. My question is if this is bad; if it is inconveniencing my lawyer at all? Any possible repercussions of just sitting on it for a while? We MAY opt to reconcile but would want it on a solid foundation, which may take months.
Edited because OP already knows everything.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

The court will allow you to petition for a reconciliation period. You might wish to do this in order to prevent the divorce from being dismissed for lack of prosecution. Talk to your attorney about that option and how your court handles this situation.

Ginevra

Thanks for reminding me on a legal help forum that I should just ask the attorney. I don't mean to be rude, and I appreciate your reply, but I have reasons (mostly but not all monetary) I'm asking here, rather than there. In fact, I am asking if it affects my attorney in any way, something I guess I could ask him, but I am asking on an advice forum.

Also, if it were dismissed that would actually be awesome.

Silverplum

Thanks for reminding me on a legal help forum that I should just ask the attorney. I don't mean to be rude, and I appreciate your reply, but I have reasons (mostly but not all monetary) I'm asking here, rather than there. In fact, I am asking if it affects my attorney in any way, something I guess I could ask him, but I am asking on an advice forum.

Good day.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

The attorney can tell you how your local court handles reconciliation and for how long. Do what you want. if you don't talk to your attorney, it can definitely affect him due to the fact that he may be forced to set a trial date and move this along to protect your interests -- your interest in getting a divorce. Until you tell him otherwise, that is what he is going to be doing.

Silverplum

The attorney can tell you how your local court handles reconciliation and for how long. Do what you want. if you don't talk to your attorney, it can definitely affect him due to the fact that he may be forced to set a trial date and move this along to protect your interests -- your interest in getting a divorce. Until you tell him otherwise, that is what he is going to be doing.
Phx.

:rolleyes:

Ginevra

I'd consider renaming this the "We Just Tell You to Hire a Lawyer" forum. Bad marketing skills, by the way. Real bad.

Proserpina

I'd consider renaming this the "We Just Tell You to Hire a Lawyer" forum. Bad marketing skills, by the way. Real bad.

I believe "If you behave like a horse's backside, we'll tell you about it and advise you to pay someone to listen to you whining" would be more apt.

Bit too long though.

:cool:

Silverplum

I believe "If you behave like a horse's backside, we'll tell you about it and advise you to pay someone to listen to you whining" would be more apt.

Bit too long though.

:cool:
We'd need a sub-header referring to our mean and controlling insistence upon valid, state-specific advice.

Maybe Gin-soaked could type those up to present for our approval.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">