• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old divorce, new pregnancy.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tmhoenes

What is the name of your state? Utah
I normally live in Salt Lake City, Utah. However, I am currently working in Cincinnati, OH and may be here for a couple of months. I filed for divorce about 8 years ago. Originally we fought over custody, but she got temporary custody, and I am used to the current situation. She has given indications lately that she might want to give custody of my 12 yr old son to me. We went to court several times and a resolution was never reached and this divorce is not final. I think we both ran out of money, and realized that our attorneys weren't getting things done. I want this divorce to be over with now but now she may be pregnant by her boyfriend. Do I need to file for divorce again,, or should this case still be open? Also, does the pregnancy complicate things even though we have not been together for 8 years (actually more than that, but that is when I filed.)?

Last edited:

LdiJ

Tmhoenes said:
What is the name of your state? Utah
I normally live in Salt Lake City, Utah. However, I am currently working in Cincinnati, OH and may be here for a couple of months. I filed for divorce about 8 years ago. Originally we fought over custody, but she got temporary custody, and I am used to the current situation. She has given indications lately that she might want to give custody of my 12 yr old son to me. We went to court several times and a resolution was never reached and this divorce is not final. I think we both ran out of money, and realized that our attorneys weren't getting things done. I want this divorce to be over with now but now she may be pregnant by her boyfriend. Do I need to file for divorce again,, or should this case still be open? Also, does the pregnancy complicate things even though we have not been together for 8 years (actually more than that, but that is when I filed.)?
Many state laws don't allow for a divorce to happen if the wife is pregnant. Everything is put on hold until after the baby is born and paternity is determined.

You can find out if Utah is one of those states by doing a search of Utah state statutes on the Utah state website, or you could consult an attorney in Utah.

Otherwise, if the two of you are in agreement and there is no property to divide, it should be fairly easy to get a divorce. You would need to start over from scratch.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">