• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Opening mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kel4377

What is the name of your state?NY
Is it legal to open your spouses mail........especially if you're no longer together?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

kel4377 said:
Ok, that sounds good.......but not legal unfortunately!!!! Seriously, can anything be done about it?

My response:

You gave such skimpy information that my above response will probably be your only "out".

However, if you want to be more detailed; e.g., where you are in relation to the mail being delivered, and how she gets her hands on your mail, and where she lives versus where the mail is delivered, and everything else we may need to know, then you MIGHT get a more detailed response.

IAAL

kel4377

Okay, more detail. First, I'm asking this for a friend. Him and his wife split up, but his mail was still going to their house. She told him that she got his mail and opened it.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

kel4377 said:
Okay, more detail. First, I'm asking this for a friend. Him and his wife split up, but his mail was still going to their house. She told him that she got his mail and opened it.

My response:

. . . and when friends are in such a situation, we call them a certain name that begins with "S" and ends with "D". Once mail is delivered to where it's supposed to go, then it's anybody's "right" to open mail.

Why doesn't he get his mail where he lives, or why hasn't he opened a P.O. Box?

IAAL

kel4377

Okay, it may be anyones "right", but is it legal? And he changed his address to get his mail where he's living now, but obviously it hadn't gone into effect yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">