• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of country spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

celeron76

Portland Oregon.

We were married in Portland, and we lived overseas (he is not American). He is a compulsive liar, the moment we had problems was always running to his ex-girlfriend or going out looking for a new one, there were also some domestic violence issues that still shocks me. I left him in the UK and now back here with our small daughter.
I don't have money for an attorney, I have a little money for one of those paralegal services I'm considering using. My question is since he is overseas can I legally make him pay child support? He has a good job and I know most of his work details. How will the papers be served to him if he's not local?
Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

LdiJ

celeron76 said:
Portland Oregon.

We were married in Portland, and we lived overseas (he is not American). He is a compulsive liar, the moment we had problems was always running to his ex-girlfriend or going out looking for a new one, there were also some domestic violence issues that still shocks me. I left him in the UK and now back here with our small daughter.
I don't have money for an attorney, I have a little money for one of those paralegal services I'm considering using. My question is since he is overseas can I legally make him pay child support? He has a good job and I know most of his work details. How will the papers be served to him if he's not local?
Thanks for your time.
You can get a child support order. Yes, enforcement between the UK and the US is possible. However, it may be somewhat expensive to pursue.

You need to realize something else however. If your child was born in the UK, the UK retains jurisdiction over your child until you and the child have lived in the US for at least two full years....and you could be forced to return the child to the UK. Therefore, it may be much safer for you to simply sit on things for the next two years.

celeron76

Thanks Ldij,
No my daughter was born in the U.S Thankfully. So are you saying to get a child support order I need to get a lawyer??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">