• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of state divorce decree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annwaywell

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I have been served to civil court because my ex states I am not paying him according to the divorce decree. My divorce was from Arizona and now he is taking me to court in Tennessee for my AZ divorce decree. Does TN have jursidiction over my divorce decree in civil court?

LdiJ

annwaywell said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I have been served to civil court because my ex states I am not paying him according to the divorce decree. My divorce was from Arizona and now he is taking me to court in Tennessee for my AZ divorce decree. Does TN have jursidiction over my divorce decree in civil court?
It depends on what you aren't paying him. If its child support, then yes, its common for your home state to get involved in the collection proceedings.

annwaywell

No, it isn't child support. He claims that I am required to pay 65% of the dental premiums that is not in the divorce decree, but there was a minute entry stating I was required to pay 65% of dental that the insurance didn't cover. It didn't state anywhere in the divorce decree about paying dental premiums. He is required to maintain medical insurance for the kids and my interpretation that would include dental.

LdiJ

annwaywell said:
No, it isn't child support. He claims that I am required to pay 65% of the dental premiums that is not in the divorce decree, but there was a minute entry stating I was required to pay 65% of dental that the insurance didn't cover. It didn't state anywhere in the divorce decree about paying dental premiums. He is required to maintain medical insurance for the kids and my interpretation that would include dental.
If there are no orders requiring you to pay dental premiums, then you don't have to pay dental premiums. Take all of your paperwork to court to prove that you were never ordered to pay that.....including the minute entry. Count yourself lucky that he filed in your state....it saves you having to go to AZ for court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">