• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

overdue bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sadparent

We live in Missouri.My daughter was divorced about a year ago. Her ex has not payed any child support since then even though it was established in the decree.In fact he keeps his job secret and quits whenever she finds out where he works. It is my understanding that he also was given responsibility for the joint marital bills, (house, furniture etc.)The bill collectors are hounding my daughter because he isn't paying and some may sue. Can she be held liable for these bills? He takes full advantage of his visitation rights and doesn't even tell her where he lives or when he moves.

[Edited by sadparent on 01-03-2001 at 01:04 PM]

L

LadyBlu

sadparent said:
We live in Missouri.My daughter was divorced about a year ago. Her ex has not payed any child support since then even though it was established in the decree.In fact he keeps his job secret and quits whenever she finds out where he works. It is my understanding that he also was given responsibility for the joint marital bills, (house, furniture etc.)The bill collectors are hounding my daughter because he isn't paying and some may sue. Can she be held liable for these bills? He takes full advantage of his visitation rights and doesn't even tell her where he lives or when he moves.

[Edited by sadparent on 01-03-2001 at 01:04 PM]
She needs to file on him for contempt, for the non payment of support and to have the order for the other bills enforced. Unfortunately, she will need to pay those other bills out of her pocket if she wishes to keep the items. Reason being, in the end.. the creditors are going to continue to hound her and threaten a lawsuit. She will end up most likely having to take him to small claims court to get reimbursed her portion of the bills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">