• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

overseas annulment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paul reed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My son is in the army in Afghanistan. He was married in Alaska about six months ago just before deployment. His wife is in Alaska. He needs an annulment fast as she is now with another man as evidenced by pics and posts on her my space page. She has power of attorney and has drained thousands (everything) from their bank accounts. I don't know how much more damage she can do to him financially or legally.. I need help, my son needs help???? How can we end this marriage while he is in Afghanistan???

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My son is in the army in Afghanistan. He was married in Alaska about six months ago just before deployment. His wife is in Alaska. He needs an annulment fast as she is now with another man as evidenced by pics and posts on her my space page. She has power of attorney and has drained thousands (everything) from their bank accounts. I don't know how much more damage she can do to him financially or legally.. I need help, my son needs help???? How can we end this marriage while he is in Afghanistan???
The first thing he needs to do is to arrange to have his pay deposited in a different bank account and to revoke his POA and give it to someone else.

Then he can worry about getting a divorce or annulment. I have no idea if he qualifies for an annulment but in general a divorce is much quicker, easier and less costly.

paul reed

He set up a new bank account with a new bank already but she tracked it somehow and with P.O.A. she was able to drain it, He needs to begin annulment or divorce proceedings asap but how can this be done from Afghanistan the army is no help ??????????????? HELP!!

mistoffolees

He set up a new bank account with a new bank already but she tracked it somehow and with P.O.A. she was able to drain it, He needs to begin annulment or divorce proceedings asap but how can this be done from Afghanistan the army is no help ??????????????? HELP!!
He needs to withdraw the power of attorney and then set up another account. Make sure that he notifies the new bank that she does not have any authority to access the account.

Then he should talk with his JAG. The JAG can't really do much, but can offer advice. In all likelihood, he'll need to find an attorney in his state of residence to file for him.

Depending on what the Power of Attorney said, he may have some recourse on that, as well. Most Power of Attorney documents are limited in some way. It may say something like "she is authorized to make financial transactions on his behalf". If there's any restriction like that and she violated it, she could be in trouble for that. But he really needs an attorney.

candg918

It is likely that the JAG office can help with the POA problem because it was likely setup as part of the predeployment legal work that was done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">