• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Owe money to ex-wife I cant pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tomboy77

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Had a 2 year agreement to pay my ex-wife $20,000 in 2 years time from the date of the divorce. That time is approaching soon and I cannot afford it. What will happen? This agreement is in our seperation decree. We went through a mediator because we mutually wanted to end the marriage. Now I am stuck and don't know what will happen to me.

LdiJ

Had a 2 year agreement to pay my ex-wife $20,000 in 2 years time from the date of the divorce. That time is approaching soon and I cannot afford it. What will happen? This agreement is in our seperation decree. We went through a mediator because we mutually wanted to end the marriage. Now I am stuck and don't know what will happen to me.
What property did you get to keep in exchange for that 20k?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

She can take you back to court for contempt and you may be found in contempt of a court order. If you are then you can face fines, sanctions and jail time.

Tomboy77

What property did you get to keep in exchange for that 20k?
I got to keep my condo apartment. But I barely make ends meet. The condo is under my name and my dad because he helped me so much with the other legalities in my seperation. But I can't expect a man of 70 years old to bail out his son for $20,000.

Tomboy77

She can take you back to court for contempt and you may be found in contempt of a court order. If you are then you can face fines, sanctions and jail time.
This is horrible. I don't want either. She won't be sympathetic either. Who in their right mind would. Are there options for me to avoid paying and avoid jail? Or is it a lose-lose situation?

Silverplum

I got to keep my condo apartment. But I barely make ends meet. The condo is under my name and my dad because he helped me so much with the other legalities in my seperation. But I can't expect a man of 70 years old to bail out his son for $20,000.
This is horrible. I don't want either. She won't be sympathetic either. Who in their right mind would. Are there options for me to avoid paying and avoid jail? Or is it a lose-lose situation?
Past time to sell the condo.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So basically you want to get out of your obligations under the court order and avoid jail thus screwing over your ex and taking no responsibility for YOURSELF? Pay what you owe. You may not be sentenced to jail. Why haven't you paid her ANYTHING? Why did you agree to pay her 20k?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">