• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid to rehab a house to sell after seperation date, should I get reimbersed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello,

The now ex-wife and I had a house together that needed major rehabbing.

After our separation I spent 45k of my own money to rehab the property so that we could get a much better selling price, and we did.

I have all of my receipts etc..

Should I be able to get reimbursed for all of my own out of pocket expenses from the proceeds of this sale?

Thanks all...

---Mike

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello,

The now ex-wife and I had a house together that needed major rehabbing.

After our separation I spent 45k of my own money to rehab the property so that we could get a much better selling price, and we did.

I have all of my receipts etc..

Should I be able to get reimbursed for all of my own out of pocket expenses from the proceeds of this sale?

Thanks all...

---Mike
Maybe, it depends a great deal on the source of the funds that you used. CA is a community property state so if your "own money" was money that you saved up in separate accounts, from your earnings, during the marriage, then it may have been marital property anyway and therefore you might not be entitled to a reimbursement.

However, if the money was truly separate property, under the community property rules, then yes, you would likely be entitled to a reimbursement. Or, if you borrowed the money from a source that is considered to be a separate debt, again, you would likely be entitled to reimbursement.

Community property rules can be a bit complex, so the devil really is in the details.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">