• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

papers filed but she decided not to answer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thewife2be

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Ok a bit of a backround (I've seen some of you can be tough on posters :p ) I am engaged to a man who's been seperated from his wife for 5 years (we've been together 1.5 years) When we got together they were in the process of a divorce in Mass that she initiated but never followed through(they would have been divorced by now) so the court dismissed it (I read the documents the court sent him so I know its true)

He has since hired a lawyer and filed for divorce himself in CT. She was served via certified mail (she moved to Louisiana). she signed for the papers but refused to file her answer because he didn't include everything she wants just what he wants. She wants him to start all over again. My question is can she stall the divorce or will it go on with out her as a default divorce? I'd ask his lawyer (she's my family) but she's away on vaca for a week or so. figured I'd give you all a shot.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Ok a bit of a backround (I've seen some of you can be tough on posters :p ) I am engaged to a man who's been seperated from his wife for 5 years (we've been together 1.5 years) When we got together they were in the process of a divorce in Mass that she initiated but never followed through(they would have been divorced by now) so the court dismissed it (I read the documents the court sent him so I know its true)

He has since hired a lawyer and filed for divorce himself in CT. She was served via certified mail (she moved to Louisiana). she signed for the papers but refused to file her answer because he didn't include everything she wants just what he wants. She wants him to start all over again. My question is can she stall the divorce or will it go on with out her as a default divorce? I'd ask his lawyer (she's my family) but she's away on vaca for a week or so. figured I'd give you all a shot.
If she has been properly served and does not respond, her husband can file for default judgment.

mistoffolees

thanks!! does that usually take as long as a regular divorce? with the whole 90 day waiting period?
There will still be a waiting period.

You really ought to cool your jets. He's a married man at this point and can not be engaged to you. You are not a part of his divorce.

thewife2be

There will still be a waiting period.

You really ought to cool your jets. He's a married man at this point and can not be engaged to you. You are not a part of his divorce.
cool my jets? ok sure. Please if there is a law somewhere in the state of CT that says a man in the process of a divorce cant be engaged I would love to see it from what I have seen, an engagement has no legal meaning. I am very much aware that I am not a part of his divorce. But does that mean I can't ask questions and try to understand the process?

And yes I am sure I will get bashed for who I am.

mistoffolees

cool my jets? ok sure. Please if there is a law somewhere in the state of CT that says a man in the process of a divorce cant be engaged I would love to see it from what I have seen, an engagement has no legal meaning. I am very much aware that I am not a part of his divorce. But does that mean I can't ask questions and try to understand the process?

And yes I am sure I will get bashed for who I am.
He is a married man. If you are sleeping with him, that's adultery - whether you want to believe it or not.

As far as 'engaged', engagement is a promise to marry. Since he's already married, he can not make a promise to marry another person until his marriage is ended.

thewife2be

He is a married man. If you are sleeping with him, that's adultery - whether you want to believe it or not.

As far as 'engaged', engagement is a promise to marry. Since he's already married, he can not make a promise to marry another person until his marriage is ended.
as far as I remember a person can promise to do anything....even when it seems impossible...its not illegal.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
as far as I remember a person can promise to do anything....even when it seems impossible...its not illegal.
You're not "engaged" - you are just deluding yourself. Arguing with a delusional person is an exercise in futility...

thewife2be

You're not "engaged" - you are just deluding yourself. Arguing with a delusional person is an exercise in futility...
it is isn't it? you're deluding yourself if you think that your OPINION about my situation matters at all. I didn't ask about my engagement I asked about the divorce process.

But I am sure now that I have not slinked off to a dark corner, my posts will be banned, deleted, or ignored.

CourtClerk

Since our opinions don't mean much, I suppose you don't mind if we just stop answering your questions.

Too bad, because I actually have the answers to a couple of your issues, however, I only answer when my opinion matters. I hate wasting my time.

thewife2be

Since our opinions don't mean much, I suppose you don't mind if we just stop answering your questions.

Too bad, because I actually have the answers to a couple of your issues, however, I only answer when my opinion matters. I hate wasting my time.
unless you are the one pushing your opinion on my engagement instead of the bigger issue your answers do have value. I just don't appreciate someone who doesn't agree with my life trying to degrade me or push thier OPINION on me to change how I see things. I greatly appreciate advice on the issues I brought up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">