• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent responsible for school loans but not paying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeedingLegal?

ILLINOIS: My father and mother divorced in 1997. For years now, my mother has been telling me that my father is obligated to pay for my student loans. In November of 2007 when my loans started coming due, he refused to provide any money citing that he does not have the money. He is remarried, is supporting a child that is not his (nor has he adopted), had another child, and has a wife that does not work. He has a very nice lifestyle, yet he claims that he can not give money to me to pay the student loans, which according to my mother he is supposed to do. I pay $420.00 per month in student loans. I would like legal advice to see if there is any remedy to this situation.

Silverplum

ILLINOIS: My father and mother divorced in 1997. For years now, my mother has been telling me that my father is obligated to pay for my student loans. In November of 2007 when my loans started coming due, he refused to provide any money citing that he does not have the money. He is remarried, is supporting a child that is not his (nor has he adopted), had another child, and has a wife that does not work. He has a very nice lifestyle, yet he claims that he can not give money to me to pay the student loans, which according to my mother he is supposed to do. I pay $420.00 per month in student loans. I would like legal advice to see if there is any remedy to this situation.
You are not a party to their divorce and can bring no action.

If what your mother has been telling you is true, then she can file contempt for nonpayment against him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">