• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental Kidnapping?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alassaria

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I've been seperated from my children's father for the last 6 mos. Nothing has been put through court yet. No legal seperation or divorce petitions, child custody, child support, etc. My children's father gets the kids every weekend. I decided to go out of town (but still in state) to visit my mother for a few days during the week (monday-friday) and I let him know where we were going, and when we'd be back. I now have their father threatening me with kidnapping charges if I don't bring them back on thursday. Is that possible? Can he do that?

Hisbabygirl77

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I've been seperated from my children's father for the last 6 mos. Nothing has been put through court yet. No legal seperation or divorce petitions, child custody, child support, etc. My children's father gets the kids every weekend. I decided to go out of town (but still in state) to visit my mother for a few days during the week (monday-friday) and I let him know where we were going, and when we'd be back. I now have their father threatening me with kidnapping charges if I don't bring them back on thursday. Is that possible? Can he do that?
No he can not do that. You have every right to go on vacation. Go and enjoy yourself.

Last edited:

Hisbabygirl77

Though he could feasibly hightail it down to the courthouse and initiate proceedings.

In less than a week if he did she would be back in plenty of time for any actions. He would end up looking like a fool.

If you wanna be on the safe side you could email him a letter stating that you are taking the child/ren on vacation from this date to this date and then if he tries anything like saying you were trying to skip town with kids you have proof that it was only vacation and he was notified.

Last edited:

LdiJ

In less than a week if he did she would be back in plenty of time for any actions. He would end up looking like a fool.

If you wanna be on the safe side you could email him a letter stating that you are taking the child/ren on vacation from this date to this date and then if he tries anything like saying you were trying to skip town with kids you have proof that it was only vacation and he was notified.
She doesn't even need to do that.

They are informally separated. She would have every right to vacation even in another state with the children and the ONLY thing he could do is hightail it to court to file for divorce and ask for an injunction that the children couldn't be moved out of state (or perhaps out of their home county).

He is totally full of BS.

mistoffolees

She doesn't even need to do that.

They are informally separated. She would have every right to vacation even in another state with the children and the ONLY thing he could do is hightail it to court to file for divorce and ask for an injunction that the children couldn't be moved out of state (or perhaps out of their home county).

He is totally full of BS.
Yes, but if she sends the letter, it would make him look even more foolish if he tried to file an emergency order. And sometimes that's not a bad thing.

c.simon

I would send an email. But he's really blowing smoke up your a$$. I took my daughter out of state for a weekend before my ex and I filed for divorce and he tried the same crap. He actually did call the police and was gently informed that no, they were not going to go arrest his wife for going on a trip with her own child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">