• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent's Divorce-- Need Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

poser meow

What is the name of your state? Texas

So, my parents are getting divorced. My mother is 45, my stepfather is 54. The have been together for 15 years. Two and a half years ago, my mother had an affair. The marriage was on the rocks, several years of stuff had built up.. and yes, she cheated. Horrible. My stepfather hired a private investigator and supposedly has photos of her and the "other guy" both at his home, in hotels, and in the employee parking lot of the airport where both of them worked. He went to a rather rough divorce lawyer back then and left the folder of photos with the lawyer. There the folder has sat, for 2 and a half years. He accepted her back into the home and they tried to reconcile things.
It was rough, but things lately have been great. We all had a wonderful Christmas. Three days after the holiday, however, my stepdad told my mother that he wanted a divorce. She has since been shell-shocked, so to speak. He told her that he wanted things to be friendly between them during the divorce and afterwards. So they went to a new lawyer, one that's supposed to remain impartial.
My stepfather told my mother, however, that if she didn't go along with the "friendly" way of divorcing, he would go back to the first lawyer.

So basically he's holding over her head a fault or no fault divorce.
Here are my questions... If he files the fault (adultery) divorce, do the rules of "community property" still apply? Will my mother still get half of everything if she is found at fault? What about allimony? Can the photos really be used in court?

My stepfather has the career, the money, the everything... my mother owns a failing company, but basically she hasn't worked steadily in a very long time. She faces losing her home and everything she knows. I know she needs to go see an attorney of her own in order to know her rights... but I can't seem to convince her! I've been doing quite a bit of research on divorces in Texas, but I can't seem to find the answers to my questions. Can someone out there help me? Thanks!!!

BelizeBreeze

The only thing this forum can help you with is what to tell your mother.

And here's what I would tell her, point-blank.

"Mom, you were stupid to have an affair. But, if you don't get your own attorney then you'll be getting screwed again, and this time you won't be getting the enjoyment. So, GROW THE HELL UP!!!"

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
BB's absolutely correct. And if your mother goes along with using the laywer her husband has retained - she deserves everything that happens.

But she should also be aware that the "proof" of adultery is likely useless. Hubby took her back, they reconciled, so he wasn't that worked up over it. A judge isn't likely to give a damn.

kat1963

Look up the definition of *condonation*. After 2.5 years he’ll probably be hard pressed to bring the past adultery up now..

KAT

poser meow

Thanks so much for the advice guys... I thought I'd give periodic updates just for educational/entertainment/advice purposes.

My mom still is not convinced that she needs to stand up for herself and get her own lawyer. I also found out that my stepdad has made her verbally agree not to go after his retirement, and he won't go after her company. Now, he's an airline pilot, close to retirement... so you know it's a pretty big sum. Her company is failing because over the past 2 and a half years, she paid more attention to him than her business. I kid you not... had he asked her to wipe his butt for him, she would have. She's been living with this guilt hanging over her head, that he still refuses to forgive. Whatever. I say she can still go for 50% of his retirement. It was always agreed upon that that is what they would mainly live off of after he can't work anymore.

My mother is getting emotionally worse every day. Last night a water pipe in the house broke and once she finally got a hold of my stepfather, he told her to "f***ing take care of it" and that the house wasn't his responsibility, etc... Wait one second... she has no money, she hasn't paid for things in years, except what she could. Doesn't this situation make you stop and go, "What the F***?!" He abondoned her... left her out in the cold, so to speak.

Another thing... my mother found phone bills that show he's been talking a lot to this chick he flies with sometimes since August. Apparently they're really good friends and it's just talking. But my mom remembers that at the end of August, my stepdad started being really werid about his phone. He would keep it off, never let it off him. Do these seem like actions of an honest man? How do I convince my mother to copy/keep these records of the phone calls?

I know I'm kind of ranting, but I'm really at a loss. I can't convince my own mother to stand up for herself. No one in the family can. I'm losing the only father I've ever known because he's being a prick and a half. What's a girl to do?

BelizeBreeze

If you can't convince your mother to grow some tits by now then let her go. Some people never learn how to stop others from walking all over them.

poser meow

You know, I appreciate your willingness to pay attention to my little plea, but do you have to be so rude? That is my mother you are talking about, after all. It's not like I'm 45 or so and have been out of the house for ages either... I'm 20 years old and trying my best to deal with this.
So thanks, but if you don't have something constructive to say, don't say anything. Your mother should have raised you better.

Mattiesmom

Thank you meow, it seems BB is a bit insensitive and rather rude!! I know several people must have given BB a simular response, I have, but it doesn't seem to do any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">