• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents Divorced

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lostt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida.

My mother and stepfather are in the process of getting divorced, my mother has moved out and I am living with my stepfather. I am twenty-two years old and my stepfather has told me that I had two weeks to find a job or I needed to find a new place to live. I was unable to find a job and am now in a situation where he is looking to evict me.

I've been searching the internet trying to figure out what my rights are I have never had a job I have no income the divorce has left me responsible for the family dogs. Is it possible for me to be evicted? I have never signed any kind of contract to live here, I have never had to pay rent, and I'm pretty sure they are still claiming me as a dependent on their income tax.

nextwife

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida.

My mother and stepfather are in the process of getting divorced, my mother has moved out and I am living with my stepfather. I am twenty-two years old and my stepfather has told me that I had two weeks to find a job or I needed to find a new place to live. I was unable to find a job and am now in a situation where he is looking to evict me.

I've been searching the internet trying to figure out what my rights are I have never had a job I have no income the divorce has left me responsible for the family dogs. Is it possible for me to be evicted? I have never signed any kind of contract to live here, I have never had to pay rent, and I'm pretty sure they are still claiming me as a dependent on their income tax.
You are 22 and have NEVER had a job???? WHY?

Guess what? You'd better start hustling to get a job and find a place to move.

CourtClerk

Go live with your mother. While neither your mother or stepfather have the legal obligation to support you as an adult... your stepfather NEVER had an obligation to provide ANYTHING for you - your mother, is at least your mother. Your stepfather is nothing to you and clearly doesn't want you in his house any longer. Move.

To answer your question, yes, he can legally evict you. Once an eviction is on your record, you are going to have one heck of a time trying to find suitable housing since no landlord in their right mind wants to deal with someone with a brand new eviction on their record. Claiming you on their taxes as a dependant has nothing to do with anything. As an adult, they have no responsibility to take care of you.

Now, what have you been doing since you got out of high school? Why have you NEVER had a job?

lostt

I went to college for awhile never really figured out what I wanted to do I have worked for them and helped them with their concession business. To be quite frank my family has never wanted me young mother step dad with a kid of his own they put me in boarding school shortly after they got married I have my reasons for how I have allowed my life to play out on another note thank you for the answer have a good weekend!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">