• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is patition same as separation agreement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chasmurf

Having just filed taxes, i now realize the tax implacations of filing -married sep
I've looked on line and spoken to IRS. Seems the only way to file "single" so is to Have a (formal judical sep. decree) and had lived apart for over 6 monthes in the state of MD. as of dec. 31st of last year. The pation was filed(Mailed) to court on the 27th of dec. this is absolute and stated as uncontested. I wish to know if any conflict with state and or fed. tax, for filing single? the patition shows we've lived apart for 1 year and the court date to finalize is next monday. show I go ahead and go for it? _File_?

LdiJ

chasmurf said:
Having just filed taxes, i now realize the tax implacations of filing -married sep
I've looked on line and spoken to IRS. Seems the only way to file "single" so is to Have a (formal judical sep. decree) and had lived apart for over 6 monthes in the state of MD. as of dec. 31st of last year. The pation was filed(Mailed) to court on the 27th of dec. this is absolute and stated as uncontested. I wish to know if any conflict with state and or fed. tax, for filing single? the patition shows we've lived apart for 1 year and the court date to finalize is next monday. show I go ahead and go for it? _File_?
Somebody at the IRS didn't give you good advice. If you have lived apart for more than the last 6 months of 2004 then you can be considered unmarried for tax purposes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">