• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paulding County Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stressbuny

In Georgia. I have filed a petition for divorce. We are filing an uncontested divorce with minor child. We have a settlement agreement, have attended the required classes for Co-parenting, and all documents including final judgement and decree have been issued to the County. I called to check the status, and they told me the last note that was entered on the case was 'MEDIATION WAVED'. I know we waved mediation because we agreed to everything. I have a copy of the final petition for divorce inside the packet, but the lady said that "the case will just sit there till I take the next step". but she wouldn't tell me what that was; Is there something I need to be doing? She said if I didn't know, I should get a lawyer involved. It seems like a ploy for having to pay for a lawyer. I would think that they would tell me something more specific than that if there was something that was missing. What does mediation waved mean in the courts eyes? I know I have not been in for divorce for the 31 days, so maybe that just means they can't finish and file till that time? HELP. Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In Georgia. I have filed a petition for divorce. We are filing an uncontested divorce with minor child. We have a settlement agreement, have attended the required classes for Co-parenting, and all documents including final judgement and decree have been issued to the County. I called to check the status, and they told me the last note that was entered on the case was 'MEDIATION WAVED'. I know we waved mediation because we agreed to everything. I have a copy of the final petition for divorce inside the packet, but the lady said that "the case will just sit there till I take the next step". but she wouldn't tell me what that was; Is there something I need to be doing? She said if I didn't know, I should get a lawyer involved. It seems like a ploy for having to pay for a lawyer. I would think that they would tell me something more specific than that if there was something that was missing. What does mediation waved mean in the courts eyes? I know I have not been in for divorce for the 31 days, so maybe that just means they can't finish and file till that time? HELP. Thanks.
To be clear - the court clerks CANNOT give you the information that you asked for...that would amount to practicing law without a license.

Gracie3787

Have you arranged for a final hearing date?
If not, it's probably the next step since waiving mediation typically sends the case to a hearing.
I don't know why they wouldn't have told you that, but it's the most logical next step.

This site might have some answers for you also:

Judicial Branch of Georgia :: Self Help Resources :: Home

stressbuny

Update...

I emailed the clerk today and received this response. "Your case will not be sent up for the Judge's staff attorney to review till you proceed with your case and at this point you have not submitted anything directing the clerk to send up your file for review".

I had submitted a blank copy of the final judgement, but apparently this is not what I need. It appears I need to submit a document indicating I wish the case to be reviewed by the judge, but what is that type of request called? Thanks for the help.

Gracie3787

I emailed the clerk today and received this response. "Your case will not be sent up for the Judge's staff attorney to review till you proceed with your case and at this point you have not submitted anything directing the clerk to send up your file for review".

I had submitted a blank copy of the final judgement, but apparently this is not what I need. It appears I need to submit a document indicating I wish the case to be reviewed by the judge, but what is that type of request called? Thanks for the help.
Have you read the court rules on the link I gave you?

If you have and it doesn't answer your question, you might need to get a quick consult with a local attorney for the answer. Consults are generally very inexpensive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">