• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paying an amended tax return

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

catdeneen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

Hi,
I posted this question under the Tax Law category and was told it needs to answered here.

My husband and I filed jointly for 2007. We've been separated since Aug. 2007. Without out discussing it with me, he claimed my daughter(from a previous marriage) on our taxes. My first husband informed me that he did as well. I informed my husband that we needed to amend our returns. He said he would not. I told my lawyer that I would go ahead and file the amendment and pay the adjustment because it needed to be done ASAP, BUT that I was expecting my husband to have to pay me back half of it since we filed jointly thus all amended costs were to be covered jointly. Now my lawyer tells me that he doesn't have to since I don't have his agreement in writing. He has also filed for bankruptcy. Is it not the law that states that both parties must equally pay the amended amount to the Federal and State governments? I can't believe it's my sole responsiblility.

Thank you,

Catdeneen

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">