• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paying for college by ex-spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lane01

North Carolina.Am i held responsible for paying for my daugthers college if it was not in devorice agreement.

LdiJ

North Carolina.Am i held responsible for paying for my daugthers college if it was not in devorice agreement.
Probably not, but there is no where near enough info hear to give you any truly valid advice.

Bali Hai

You wouldn't be ordered to pay for the college if you stayed married. It's ridiculous that you should be held responsible because you divorced. I

f it's not in the agreement, you didn't agree to it, period.

mistoffolees

If it's not in the divorce agreement, it falls back on state law as to what you are required to pay. NC State law specifically does not allow a parent to be ordered to pay college tuition:
North Carolina Child Support – NC Child Support

Child support normally continues to age 18, but there are exceptions:

"Absent an exception, child support terminates in North Carolina when a child reaches the age of eighteen. The two most important exceptions to this rule, for all orders entered on or after October 1, 1993, are that: 1) when a child is otherwise emancipated prior to age 18, payments terminate at that time, and 2) “f the child is still in primary or secondary school when the child reaches 18, support payments shall continue until the child graduates, otherwise ceases to attend school on a regular basis, fails to make satisfactory academic progress towards graduation, or reaches age 20, whichever comes first, unless the court in its discretion orders that payments cease at age 18 or prior to high school graduation.” The other statutory exception to the rule against post-minority support applies to a child who is incapable of self-support. For such a child, the obligation of child support continues until the child is no longer physically or mentally incapable of supporting him- or herself."

Of course, if you HAD agreed to something different, that would be a different issue.

kimberlywrites

You wouldn't be ordered to pay for the college if you stayed married. It's ridiculous that you should be held responsible because you divorced. I

f it's not in the agreement, you didn't agree to it, period.
hey Bali, you sound just like my ex! That's what he said during our divorce negotiations.
Personally, I do agree with you on this one.
Legally, it depends on OP's state law and decree (just covering my butt here)
PS Bali, I did not ask for or receive alimony ;)

Bali Hai

hey Bali, you sound just like my ex! That's what he said during our divorce negotiations.
Personally, I do agree with you on this one.
Legally, it depends on OP's state law and decree (just covering my butt here)
PS Bali, I did not ask for or receive alimony ;)
Well your ex sounds like an astute person.

A Canuck living in Texas, probably wouldn't have received alimony if you had asked for it.

Be careful openly agreeing with me, it could diminish your standing on this forum.;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">