• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pendente Lite

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

n522mt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

I am currently in the process of a divorce from my wife of 16 years. She lives in Alabama and I now live in South Carolina. I received a Pendente Lite signed by a judge. Is it normal for a judge to sign such a document without hearing or conferring with both parties prior to signing the order? (i.e. She could make up whatever she wanted for his approval without hearing my concerns.)

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

I am currently in the process of a divorce from my wife of 16 years. She lives in Alabama and I now live in South Carolina. I received a Pendente Lite signed by a judge. Is it normal for a judge to sign such a document without hearing or conferring with both parties prior to signing the order? (i.e. She could make up whatever she wanted for his approval without hearing my concerns.)
Yes, a judge can do that, particularly if she convinced the judge that it was an emergency. A Pendente Lite order is a temporary order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">