• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pending Divorce, Family Violence, Contracts, oh my!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PleaseDivorce

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Married a woman I felt sorry for because she had lupus, two kids, and had lost her job. Not a good reason to get married, obviously. So around two months ago I gave up, filed for divorce, and at the same time, put in an order to transfer to a smaller apartment. The agreement was that she would sign a Waiver of Service and that would be that.
Fully expecting either her parents to take her in or she would find another job, I didn't think much about it. Fast forward to a week ago, I've finished moving to the new apartment, and she is begging me to let her stay in the new apartment through the summer as no one would take her in and she had been unable to find a job. I begrudgingly let her, still needed that Waiver anyway so keeping her close until I got it didn't seem like a terrible plan.
It was.
I go out to happy hour one night after work, and start getting gibberish text messages from her (common when she is having a transient ischemic attack) but I can make out that she wants a doctor and she has lost my dog. Let me preface this by saying since we have been together she has lost my dog a total of 5 times, and by some miracle we've managed to get him back everytime. So I get home, drunk and upset, and slap her on the arm in a "Are you serious, this again?" way, she WAILS like a banshee, and crumples to the ground. Within seconds we are swarmed with neighbors and office staff, and police are called, and I am arrested. Protection order, the works.
Now, this week, she is offering me a "deal" in order to not press charges. Basically, I am completely tapped out, and need help writing up this contract. So long as it looks vaguely legit and the wording is all nice and official like, I think she'll take it and we can go get it notarized. I don't have money to pay an attorney / paralegal to write it up, and while she says she has one to review it, I know she doesn't.
TLDR: So.... who wants to take up the call to write this up, or at least, provide a template? Maybe even just help with wording? Here is what I need in the contract:
What I am agreeing to do:
Add her as a resident on the lease 7/6. (Done)
Return to the apartment 7/10, provided a notarized motion to dissolve the standing PO has been filed with the county.
Not terminate the lease or remove myself from the lease.
Allow her children to stay as guests, not to exceed any limits for guests set forth in the lease.
Allow her to keep her belongings in the garage until she can pay to have them moved and not throw away, move, damage those items or cancel the garage before she is able to move them out.
Make sure she receives a mailbox key and can receive mail at the new address.
Continue to pay all bills (including internet), through the end of the current lease, but not beyond that if she has still not found a job or alternative housing by that time.
Promise to refrain from any further physical or verbal abuse.
Provide $200 a month food stipend ($100 bi-weekly) for food exclusively for her children.
Leave the apartment for the duration of child visits, up to 3 days a week for the duration of the contract.
She Will:
File a notarized motion to dissolve the standing PO and agree to let me move back into the apartment, including returning my mailbox, house, and garage keys as part of the execution of the contract.
File a notarized affidavit of non - prosecution indicating she does not wish to pursue the existing family violence charge against me as part of the execution of the contract.
Continue to look for employment, and upon finding employment, make all necessary steps to move to her own residence.
Upon moving out she will sign a Waiver of Service in front of a notary for an eventual uncontested divorce provided I have held up my obligations to the contract up until that time.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
This is where I quit reading:

Basically, I am completely tapped out, and need help writing up this contract. So long as it looks vaguely legit and the wording is all nice and official like, I think she'll take it and we can go get it notarized.
Totally useless exercise. Completely unenforceable. What do you think having a piece of paper notarized gives you?

ETA - she cannot drop charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">