• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pending Divorce Questions lawyer won't answer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sokols

CA:
How long does the process take? Things are moving at a snails crawl. my lawyer is not communicating well with me and almost gets angry when I call. Separation doc.and served paperwork in Feb 09. 7/09 prepared dec of assets and debts, decl. of disclosures. Currently I believe waiting to hear back regarding preliminary court date.
We are still living together and spouse has been unemployed since Feb. Not looking for a job. He has $20K in the bank and he claims he has no money and no incoming $. He is now refusing to pay any joints bills: House payment, property tax, insurance car and house, utilities, school books and tution etc.
I tried to explain to him my income cannot cover these expenses. I want to sell the house, he wants to buy me out of the house. I can't figure how.

Since he is unemployed am I legally resonsible for his medical coverage, car payment, car insurance?

He does have money to probably cover his share for about a year. What are my options?

LdiJ

CA:
How long does the process take? Things are moving at a snails crawl. my lawyer is not communicating well with me and almost gets angry when I call. Separation doc.and served paperwork in Feb 09. 7/09 prepared dec of assets and debts, decl. of disclosures. Currently I believe waiting to hear back regarding preliminary court date.
We are still living together and spouse has been unemployed since Feb. Not looking for a job. He has $20K in the bank and he claims he has no money and no incoming $. He is now refusing to pay any joints bills: House payment, property tax, insurance car and house, utilities, school books and tution etc.
I tried to explain to him my income cannot cover these expenses. I want to sell the house, he wants to buy me out of the house. I can't figure how.

Since he is unemployed am I legally resonsible for his medical coverage, car payment, car insurance?

He does have money to probably cover his share for about a year. What are my options?
You could get away with not paying anything that is solely in his name...which would force him to step up to the plate. You also don't have to feed him or provide his sundries either.

However, you honestly cannot cancel his health insurance.

Bali Hai

You could get away with not paying anything that is solely in his name...which would force him to step up to the plate. You also don't have to feed him or provide his sundries either.

However, you honestly cannot cancel his health insurance.
CA also favors alimony. Sounds like OP is the breadwinner.

What op short for . I have goolged it many time and asked lots of friends around me , nobody knows it .who can tell me the answer , thanks !

basylica

OP = original poster

for what it's worth, my ex filed on feb 08 and took off with the kids, had temp orders done in march, didn't mediate until march of 09, was supposed to do final decree in april (ish) and his lawyer refused to return our calls, we filed in sept with our version, got a date of oct, they noshowed and judge's kids got sick, rescheduled for nov 9th now.

so....2 years at this point?
and tx is a speedier state when it comes to divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">