• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pension Evaluation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vpet

ohioWhat is the name of your state?
Ohio

Is it necessary to evaluate pension if a marriage is of short duration? For example I was married for 2 and a half years before we separated. My husband did not work for one of those years. Therefore, I have more money built into my pension and I owe him money in this area. I was wondering if this was a mandatory step we had to go through. Thank you.

You can offer to leave each others pensions alone and hurry up and get a peaceful divorce and get on with your lives. Really how much of a difference could they be? Is it worth the 200-300 an hour to let a lawyer fight over.

LdiJ

bulldogg70 said:
You can offer to leave each others pensions alone and hurry up and get a peaceful divorce and get on with your lives. Really how much of a difference could they be? Is it worth the 200-300 an hour to let a lawyer fight over.
It doesn't sound like she is the one who wants part of a pension...

To the OP...the max that your husband would be entitled to in regards to the pension is half of the amount that accrued during the marriage. In other words, half the amount that the pension fund increased while you were married.

That won't be a huge sum of money (relatively speakin), and you may be able to offset that with other assets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">