• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pension ruling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fmfred425

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York. I am a fireman that has an accidental 3/4 disability pension and also get SS disability. I have a permanent disability will never work again. I am 52 years old and have been married for 29 years. My wife wants a divorce. I was put out of FDNY with 19 years. All my children are grown. She is a trained hairdresser for which I paid for her schooling. My question is what parts of my pension and SS is she entitled to.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York. I am a fireman that has an accidental 3/4 disability pension and also get SS disability. I have a permanent disability will never work again. I am 52 years old and have been married for 29 years. My wife wants a divorce. I was put out of FDNY with 19 years. All my children are grown. She is a trained hairdresser for which I paid for her schooling. My question is what parts of my pension and SS is she entitled to.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Your social security definitely isn't divisible and your disability pension may not be divisible either.

However, that doesn't preclude you having to pay some alimony if her overall income is considerably less than yours. You have a very long term marriage.

You will each be entitled to 1/2 of the marital assets and be responsible for 1/2 of the marital debts. Expect that both of you will have to downsize.

mistoffolees

Your social security definitely isn't divisible and your disability pension may not be divisible either.

However, that doesn't preclude you having to pay some alimony if her overall income is considerably less than yours. You have a very long term marriage.

You will each be entitled to 1/2 of the marital assets and be responsible for 1/2 of the marital debts. Expect that both of you will have to downsize.
She will probably also be eligible for Social Security when she retires based on his income if it is higher than hers. That has no impact on his benefits, so it shouldn't concern him, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">