• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

personal injury lawsuit and divorcing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dura79

i ive in califonria. could a personal injury lawsuit settelment money be considerd in a divorcing lawsuit?
the accident did happen while we were still living togeather. she did receive a seperate lawsuit settlement for herself because of my accident. she was not involved in the accident. is she entited to the the lawsuit money for alimony?

Last edited:

mistoffolees

i ive in califonria. could a personal injury lawsuit settelment money be considerd in a divorcing lawsuit?
the accident did happen while we were still living togeather. she did receive a seperate lawsuit settlement for herself because of my accident. she was not involved in the accident. is she entited to the the lawsuit money for alimony?
It would depend on what the settlement is for. If it is a payment for past lost wages (i.e., wages that were lost while you were married), she probably has a direct claim on it. If it is for future wages, probably not.

ALL of your assets and income can be considered in setting alimony, though.

LdiJ

Like the other posted stated, its not quite as simple as it seems. It truely depends on the breakdown of the money, and even then it wouldn't necessarily be considered alimony, it would be more likely to be considered as part of your property settlement.

Any money that was specifically earmarked for your future medical care, or subordinated for past medical expenses, would definitely not be divisible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">