• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

personal Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlc614

What is the name of your state? New York

I am getting divorced and have been seperated for several months (although not legally). I am in the military and have been staying at the barricks to avoid conflict as everytime I have attempted to return to my home it has ended in the police arriving sue to actions of my stbx and her son. My stbx is leaving the property next week but I am concerned that she will take personal property that belongs to me. I have several cars that I purchased alon two during the marriage and two prior to the marriage....will she have any right to any of those? Also can I remove my personal belongings from the house before her movers show up to insure that she does not take them? They are all belongs that I either had before the marriage or padi for my self and not with marital assets. I will be moving back into the house once she leaves. Any help would be appreciated. I tried to keep this from getting as ugly as it has but she seems to want it to be ugly.....also while I was in Iraq for 18 months she charged 20,000 on credit cards that are in my name even though I had money forwarded directly from the bank to pay all the household bills and she works so she had her entire check for other expenses...will I be held responsible for all this debt alone since the cards are in my name? Thanks

seniorjudge

jlc614 said:
What is the name of your state? New York

I am getting divorced and have been seperated for several months (although not legally). I am in the military and have been staying at the barricks to avoid conflict as everytime I have attempted to return to my home it has ended in the police arriving sue to actions of my stbx and her son. My stbx is leaving the property next week but I am concerned that she will take personal property that belongs to me. I have several cars that I purchased alon two during the marriage and two prior to the marriage....will she have any right to any of those? Also can I remove my personal belongings from the house before her movers show up to insure that she does not take them? They are all belongs that I either had before the marriage or padi for my self and not with marital assets. I will be moving back into the house once she leaves. Any help would be appreciated. I tried to keep this from getting as ugly as it has but she seems to want it to be ugly.....also while I was in Iraq for 18 months she charged 20,000 on credit cards that are in my name even though I had money forwarded directly from the bank to pay all the household bills and she works so she had her entire check for other expenses...will I be held responsible for all this debt alone since the cards are in my name? Thanks

You need a lawyer yesterday.

jlc614

I don't find anything about my problems or my situation dumb. I have tried to be fair in a bad situation and my only request had been to have contact with my step daughter and my stbx has used her daughter as a tool to punish me. Also I have tried to remain reasonable ina bad situation and since I can no longer salvage the marriage or any part of the relationship I would just like to make sure that nothing else gets taken from me. If you cannot be of any help and have nothing but negative comments grow up and keep themto your self.

Bali Hai

jlc614 said:
I don't find anything about my problems or my situation dumb. I have tried to be fair in a bad situation and my only request had been to have contact with my step daughter and my stbx has used her daughter as a tool to punish me. Also I have tried to remain reasonable ina bad situation and since I can no longer salvage the marriage or any part of the relationship I would just like to make sure that nothing else gets taken from me. If you cannot be of anyhelp and have nothing but negative comments grow up and keep themtoyour self.

Positive comment for you:

Go back to Iraq and stand on the first roadside bomb you see. You'll come out much further ahead.

Lesson: Do Not be fair in a bad situation.

LdiJ

jlc614 said:
I don't find anything about my problems or my situation dumb. I have tried to be fair in a bad situation and my only request had been to have contact with my step daughter and my stbx has used her daughter as a tool to punish me. Also I have tried to remain reasonable ina bad situation and since I can no longer salvage the marriage or any part of the relationship I would just like to make sure that nothing else gets taken from me. If you cannot be of any help and have nothing but negative comments grow up and keep themto your self.
I have to apologize....you got caught up with a mentally ill poster who has a vendetta against the board and its moderator.

However...the advice that you got from seniorjudge is right on target. You truly NEED an attorney.

LdiJ

The previous message was blocked, at my request, so I have no idea what it says. I can only assume that it further demonstrates the poster's mental illness.

jlc614

Thank you for your responses to this situation I have contacted an attorney and my last conversation with him he said that it was my legal right to take my belongings but not the best idea. He said it would be best for neither of us to take anything without the agreement of the other. I just feel like no matter what I do I am going to lose...if I go and get my stuff it may start another situation if I don't she with either take it or destroy it. I know this is a legal site and not a support site but at least it's comforting to know I am not the only one.

screwedpooch

Would it be possible to have an officer or the MP's, if its on base, there when you go over to get your belongings so that it wont get nasty? :eek:

My husband is in the military and he went through this with his ex and he lost all his machinery, tools, clothes, well pretty much everything cause he did not want to go to his own house because he knew either one or both of them would end up in jail. I just think there should be some way people can have help with getting what is rightfully theirs without an altercation. Specially since she never contributed to the household financially and they never had kids so she really did nothing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">