• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wheredoesitend

My divorce was final in dec. "00. my ex has refused several times to take the last of his personal property. one item is a dog. a order for protection keeps him from coming to the house. i have asked him to sign a document signing the dog over to me and he refuses. this document was a judges recomendation. i am told that because he was awarded the property he is free to take it whenever he chooses. as the end of the protection order nears i am afraid he will show up here demanding his property and using it as an excuse to come to my house. how do i stop this and end this nonsense once and for all? this is happening in minnesota.

K

Kelly143

Just a question... How can he get the rest of his belongings if he can't come get them? Have you thought of having a mutual friend pick them up and delivering them to him? And this is a silly question, but is he at least paying for food for "his property"? If not, maybe you should tell him you stopped feeding the dog as it was too expensive to feed "his" property. Maybe it will get him to take action and get his stuff.

W

wheredoesitend

he was informed of a neutral site to pick up his property and has several times refused to pick it up. i have been informed that because the property was awarded to him, i am responsible for "keeping it in its present condition until he picks it up". i know this all sounds ridiculous but it is very real. it will soon be a year since the divorce was final. isn't there a statute of limitations or a way to have him pay rent or transfer the property to me without paying lawyer fees? anything to tie up these loose ends and send him on his way?

K

Kelly143

I do believe there is a statute of limitations. After a year or so it is considered abandoned. I'm not sure how long, you can probably call a lawyer with a free consultation to find out, or legal aid for that matter. I'm sure your ex is doing this just to ba a jerk, especially since he thinks there is nothing you can do but take care of his stuff. I hope he loses it all! You may also want to ask if you can give him notice to pick up the stuff. I'm sure when the court awarded the stuff to him, it wasn't so he could leave it there for a year. They may tell you that you can send him a certified letter giving him notice to get the stuff, then allow you to keep it or get rid of it. Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">