• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Property after separation from girlfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

motherhubbard91

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Wyoming

Recently, I separated from a girlfriend after a two year commitment. During this time, she supported me as I was unemployed for the majority of time. Most of my personal belongings are still at her residence in Wyoming, including approximately $20,000 dollars of snap-on tools and a tool chest that I are required, in my employment, as an auto mechanic.

A week ago, she stated that she had consulted an attorney. She had determined that I owed her $6,200.00 and that I would be receiving a letter from the attorney. This letter has yet to arrive. It is unclear where she obtained the amount, $6,200.00. It may have been from credit card debt that she paid for me.

Tonight, I contacted her to request permission to come up to Wyoming to pick up my belongings and she stated that the attorney had advised her not to let me take any of my personal property. Does she have a legal right to prevent me from taking my personal property, i.e., clothing, books, tools and/ or tool chest? What recourse do I have?

LdiJ

motherhubbard91 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Wyoming

Recently, I separated from a girlfriend after a two year commitment. During this time, she supported me as I was unemployed for the majority of time. Most of my personal belongings are still at her residence in Wyoming, including approximately $20,000 dollars of snap-on tools and a tool chest that I are required, in my employment, as an auto mechanic.

A week ago, she stated that she had consulted an attorney. She had determined that I owed her $6,200.00 and that I would be receiving a letter from the attorney. This letter has yet to arrive. It is unclear where she obtained the amount, $6,200.00. It may have been from credit card debt that she paid for me.

Tonight, I contacted her to request permission to come up to Wyoming to pick up my belongings and she stated that the attorney had advised her not to let me take any of my personal property. Does she have a legal right to prevent me from taking my personal property, i.e., clothing, books, tools and/ or tool chest? What recourse do I have?
Since you admit that she paid your credit card debt and that you owe her money its possible that she may have the right to hold your personal belonging as collateral since you did leave them there.

You probably need to consult at attorney. However I don't think you are dealing with a "family law" issue. She will probably have to sue you for the money you owe her, and you will have to countersue her for the personal property that she is holding.

motherhubbard91

small claim court-Wyoming-amount allowed?

What state are you in? Wyoming

What are the monetary limitations of Small Claims Court in the State of Wyoming?? Anyone know??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">