• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

personal property, breakup with girlfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nrixez

I live in WI. My (recently ex) girlfriend lives in MN. She's got several thousand dollars worth of my personal property in her house and garage. She's not inclined to even speak with me, much less let me come get it. I've still got keys to her house and garage. It was obviously a serious relationship, although we were together for less than a year. There has been no police involvement so far, no restraining orders, etc.

My question is: what are the legalities of me letting myself into her house with the keys she gave me in order to retrieve my own property?

Thanks,
-keith

ceara19

nrixez said:
I live in WI. My (recently ex) girlfriend lives in MN. She's got several thousand dollars worth of my personal property in her house and garage. She's not inclined to even speak with me, much less let me come get it. I've still got keys to her house and garage. It was obviously a serious relationship, although we were together for less than a year. There has been no police involvement so far, no restraining orders, etc.

My question is: what are the legalities of me letting myself into her house with the keys she gave me in order to retrieve my own property?

Thanks,
-keith
If you have no legal right to be there, IE - on the deed, on the lease or with a court order, you have no right to be there for any reason unless invited.

Christina2006

That would be trespassing.
She seems to be mad at you, and she may involve the police if you try that. Then things will get even more complicated.

Try mediation first. Get somebody to talk to her and convince her to give you your staff back. Also, do you have any of her things with you? Maybe you could talk about exchanging things.

If mediation doesn't work and If you have proof of ownership then you may try small claim courts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">