• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

personal property ? yet again (5yrs divorced)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tnkimala

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I got a notice of a certified letter from my ex's lawyer and another letter, not certified, yesterday. Seems my ex has come up with more stuff he wants!!

History: I typed a signature form acknowledging delivery of court ordered items, took pic and gave notice that any additional items would be considered abandoned ("involuntary bailment") within 14 days. Date Sept 29th.

This letter states:

"He would like the box you found with his diploma, cap, gown and plus a few more items, that he did not list. Also, he would like any photographs that you have of him, his family or his friends. [his daughter] would also like to have her father's album collection that he acquired prior to your marriage. Once you have all these items, please bring them to my office withing the next 14 days."

Hmmm, the "box" was in my hands in court July 9th, when the Judge dismissed the bogus harrassment charges my ex filed on me. That was the third attempt to give it to him. I was told by my lawyer to throw it away. I did. I made sure to go through any "photos" at the time of our divorce. I gave him every single picture that included him or his dd. The only pics that remain of him have been taken since the divorce. He is in some of the pictures of my first grandchild born in 2006; they belong to my dd. The "albums" are ruined, besides, that is one of the things he said he didn't want, I could keep(5 yrs ago). I gave away his stereo stand and some of the records. When DH and I married, I stored all the albums but one crate. The roof leaked and ruined.

I left a message after hours Friday night on his lawyer's answer machine stating: the box has been throw away after the third attempt to give it to my ex at court July 9th, my ex was given all photos at the time of our divorce, and the albums were given to me (my word vs his) but they are ruined and wet in storage.

My lawyer is apparently not involved, no cc in his letter to me.

He also states my ex found my daughter's high school band jacket. I made a second voice message after speaking with my daughter to have jacket for her to pick up Monday, Oct 12th (Columbus Day) or mail it to her.

My ex's 14 days will be up after Tuesday.

I need this ended. We had no issue since our divorce until I attended his fathers funeral in August 2007. His girlfriend began email harrassment Feb 2008. My ex broke in a shed July 2008. He filed for money paid above divorce order for my car in Oct 2008. Then he filed harrassment May 2009 immediately after mediation didn't go his way. Judge dismissed harrassment charges July 2009, stating to contain issues to divorce lawyers. He was charged with criminal trespass, reduced from Burglary by my niceness so he would not lose his job, with probation for 2 yrs, no contact or trespass. Aug 2009, contempt settled by judge. I am awarded reduce dollar amount, he is awarded any personal property he left behind. (Divorced July 2004)

This man pursued me for a year after our divorce (stalking) after it took me 2 years to get my divorce. This is all negative attention. Help!

Rambling to clarify situation.
Question: What will happen when I cannot produce the items asked for? Or they are ruined?

Last edited:

Proserpina

So on the 25th of September, when you wrote that you would be taking certain items to the attorney's office the following Tuesday, what happened?

tnkimala

I delivered items ordered on Sept 29th, took dated picture in his lawyer's office, the secretary signed the paper I typed verifying delivery fulfilling requirements and 14 days notice of additional items.

Within the 14 days, I have received notice for items I do not have or were given to me and now gone or ruined. In other words, I don't have the additional items requested within the 14 days.

The part in the typed letter about the box was removed. That is the first additional item listed. My lawyer yelled at me when I tried to give it to my ex at court July 9th telling me to throw it away. I did.

The photos he is talking about are probably the ones taken after our divorce when my grandbabies were born. My daughter has them.

My ex told me he didn't want his albums when we divorced. I had taken him his stereo and stated I would have to go through and pick out his albums from mine. He didn't want the heavy solid wood stereo stand either. That is how I remember, because I put the stand at the roadside for pick up. Some of the albums were given away then the rest were put in storage. The shed roof leaked and ruined them.

Thus I do not have any of the additional items requested.

History: My ex removed the entire door frame of the KY property shed in 2008 to remove "items he forgot to get" saying I gave him permission. I filed charges and he got probation 2 yrs no contact or trespass Criminal Trespass. I offered him a plea bargain to reduce Burglary charges.

What should I expect for not having the items requested?

tnkimala

I no longer have items he wants.

His lawyer sent me two certified letters.

First mailed within time frame for notice signed by lawyer secretary verfying delivery of court ordered items with 14 days to request "anything else".

I don't have additional items requested. What can my ex do to me about it?

Second certified letter states ex previously signed a quitclaim as ordered.
(I had typed one using my husband's quitclaim from his ex and my previous deed from my late husband for wording and descriptions. I mailed it to my ex to have his signature notarized. I was told the deed was not legal.)
I called his lawyer's office, explained that my ex or his bank have the orginal deed and the one signed was not legal. That was Oct 13th.

Will my ex's lawyer have to type the quitclaim or my lawyer?

My lawyer is done. No cc has been sent to her of the letters from my ex's lawyer. I hope there are no more legal costs to me.

LdiJ

His lawyer sent me two certified letters.

First mailed within time frame for notice signed by lawyer secretary verfying delivery of court ordered items with 14 days to request "anything else".

I don't have additional items requested. What can my ex do to me about it?

Second certified letter states ex previously signed a quitclaim as ordered.
(I had typed one using my husband's quitclaim from his ex and my previous deed from my late husband for wording and descriptions. I mailed it to my ex to have his signature notarized. I was told the deed was not legal.)
I called his lawyer's office, explained that my ex or his bank have the orginal deed and the one signed was not legal. That was Oct 13th.

Will my ex's lawyer have to type the quitclaim or my lawyer?

My lawyer is done. No cc has been sent to her of the letters from my ex's lawyer. I hope there are no more legal costs to me.
If he has not given you a valid quit claim deed, and he thinks you still have items he wants, then you are probably going to end up back in court again. He will likely hold the quit claim deed hostage for the items and you will have to file for contempt to get the deed.

Who told you that the one you drew up wasn't legal/valid?

Bali Hai

I delivered items ordered on Sept 29th, took dated picture in his lawyer's office, the secretary signed the paper I typed verifying delivery fulfilling requirements and 14 days notice of additional items.

Within the 14 days, I have received notice for items I do not have or were given to me and now gone or ruined. In other words, I don't have the additional items requested within the 14 days.

The part in the typed letter about the box was removed. That is the first additional item listed. My lawyer yelled at me when I tried to give it to my ex at court July 9th telling me to throw it away. I did.

The photos he is talking about are probably the ones taken after our divorce when my grandbabies were born. My daughter has them.

My ex told me he didn't want his albums when we divorced. I had taken him his stereo and stated I would have to go through and pick out his albums from mine. He didn't want the heavy solid wood stereo stand either. That is how I remember, because I put the stand at the roadside for pick up. Some of the albums were given away then the rest were put in storage. The shed roof leaked and ruined them.

Thus I do not have any of the additional items requested.

History: My ex removed the entire door frame of the KY property shed in 2008 to remove "items he forgot to get" saying I gave him permission. I filed charges and he got probation 2 yrs no contact or trespass Criminal Trespass. I offered him a plea bargain to reduce Burglary charges.

What should I expect for not having the items requested?
My advice:

Think of anything that you can and return it to him promptly. The following list is meant to trigger your memory and may not be actual items that are his.

Racoon skin cap.
Squirrel cage.
Moonshine distillery.
Buckskin coat.
Bearclaw necklace.
Black powder rifle.
Black powder horn.
Musket balls.
Trailer tires and hitch.

tnkimala

Lol

Funny, like the list! You have no idea that his father was a safari hunter and mountain man collector for Dixie Gun Works! LOL!!! My ex works at Goodyear.

I typed exactly as my new husband's quit claim was typed, inserting the information pertaining to my deed, but the court house said it was not legal. The property is in Ky. She said it requires preparers information. I was using a TN quitclaim deed for example.

I am looking for anything I can find. It is exhausting. I spoke with his lawyer's secretary, advising that I do not have the additional property, and that my ex or his bank have the original deed to the property.

He requested photos, all of which were given him at the time of divorce. I didn't want any pic with him or any memory associated to him.

Another item is a box with a graduation cap & gown plus some papers. I tried to give him the box when I found it last April. After the bogus harrassment charge, I had it in court and tried to give it to him in the court room, but he walked out without picking it up. My lawyer was mad for me trying to give it to him and told me to throw it away. Texting him that I found it and offered to drop it off on my way out of town was suddenly a reason for him to file harrassment and request no contact. (A Sunday afternoon?)

The final item is stated: [his daughter] wants my ex's albums prior to our marriage. My ex didn't want them at the time of our divorce. I got rid of them and his stereo stand years ago. I have part of my albums in the house, the rest were put in the barn, got wet and ruined.

We divorced in 2004. I remarried in 2006. I live in my new husband's home. I have my previous home as well as my first home from my late husband listed with Realtors. I went from 2200 sq ft to 950 sq ft, thus got rid of anything not wanted or needed. There is one closet left not packed at my previous home. My ex broke in the shed on the KY property July 2008 and removed a wood stove and other items forgotten in storage since our marriage in 1991. There is nothing left of his after five years.

Guess I will be going back to court. Must I hire a lawyer again? Can I file harrassment for all this pettiness? I want him out of my life.

Negative attention, positive attention; it is all still attention!

tnkimala

I typed exactly as my new husband's quit claim was typed, inserting the information pertaining to my deed, but the court house said it was not legal. The property is in Ky. She said it requires preparers information. I was using a TN quitclaim deed for example.

I am looking for anything I can find. It is exhausting. I spoke with his lawyer's secretary, advising that I do not have the additional property, and that my ex or his bank have the original deed to the property.

He requested photos, all of which were given him at the time of divorce. I didn't want any pic with him or any memory associated to him.

Another item is a box with a graduation cap & gown plus some papers. I tried to give him the box when I found it last April. After the bogus harrassment charge, I had it in court and tried to give it to him in the court room, but he walked out without picking it up. My lawyer was mad for me trying to give it to him and told me to throw it away. Texting him that I found it and offered to drop it off on my way out of town was suddenly a reason for him to file harrassment and request no contact. (A Sunday afternoon?)

The final item is stated: [his daughter] wants my ex's albums prior to our marriage. My ex didn't want them at the time of our divorce. I got rid of them and his stereo stand years ago. I have part of my albums in the house, the rest were put in the barn, got wet and ruined.

We divorced in 2004. I remarried in 2006. I live in my new husband's home. I have my previous home as well as my first home from my late husband listed with Realtors. I went from 2200 sq ft to 950 sq ft, thus got rid of anything not wanted or needed. There is one closet left not packed at my previous home. My ex broke in the shed on the KY property July 2008 and removed a wood stove and other items forgotten in storage since our marriage in 1991. There is nothing left of his after five years.

Guess I will be going back to court. Must I hire a lawyer again? Can I file harrassment for all this pettiness? I want him out of my life.

Is there a time frame in which he must file action on me?
I gave him 14 days to request any additional items, then he gave me 14 days to deliver the "additional items" as listed above.

Bali Hai

Funny, like the list! You have no idea that his father was a safari hunter and mountain man collector for Dixie Gun Works! LOL!!! My ex works at Goodyear.

See the photo an let us know which is the property in KY you are referring to? The one with the swimming pool is really nice.

http://www.tofslie.com/hey/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/redneck-mansion.jpg

mistoffolees

Is there a time frame in which he must file action on me?
I gave him 14 days to request any additional items, then he gave me 14 days to deliver the "additional items" as listed above.
You can't give him any time frame. The court can, though.

This will drag out as long as you let it. Next time you're in court, explain to the judge that he keeps doing this and it is creating major problems for you. Ask for a COURT ORDER that he give you a list of items within 10 days and that will be the end of it.

You can also explain to the court that the items he requested are not in your possession and you do not know where they are. If the court believes you, they'll make him stop bugging you about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">