• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pet visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sugarbaby3000

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?TX

Hi,

I have been divorced for 15 months. We had no children, only pets that we acquired during the marriage. In our final decree, I was given visitation rights twice a month. My husband has only complied six out of the 15 months. He refuses to respond to my calls and emails so I can't make arrangements to get them. What can I do to get the dogs? Can the police help? I can't afford an attorney again, I went broke in the process. Is there something I can do on my own? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

LdiJ

sugarbaby3000 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?TX

Hi,

I have been divorced for 15 months. We had no children, only pets that we acquired during the marriage. In our final decree, I was given visitation rights twice a month. My husband has only complied six out of the 15 months. He refuses to respond to my calls and emails so I can't make arrangements to get them. What can I do to get the dogs? Can the police help? I can't afford an attorney again, I went broke in the process. Is there something I can do on my own? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Because pets are property your "visitation rights" can't be enforced. You can sue him in small claims court for ownership of the pets, but that is really about all you could do.

I am a pet owner myself and I know how much you love them, but maybe its time to just get yourself another pet all of your own.

BelizeBreeze

EmuMessenger said:
I am about to be in the same situation.

Is there such thing as joint custody of a pet?
There is no such thing as CUSTODY PERIOD! The court can award the pet to one or the other party as PRIVATE PROPERTY.

EmuMessenger

BelizeBreeze said:
There is no such thing as CUSTODY PERIOD! The court can award the pet to one or the other party as PRIVATE PROPERTY.

UGH, that is bad news. Thank you for the information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">