• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pet visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandyclaus30

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I have been married for 9 years, it will be 10 years in Sptember of 2014. For reasons that have no impact on my question, I had to move from my husband's home state of New York back to my home state of Pennsylvania. I will say that my son, who is Autistic and did not want to move to New York when I re-married, lives here in PA. He was having some emotional problems so that is one of the reasons I moved back.

My husband and I both agreed on this decision and he assured me he would begin to look for a job here in a few years so we could find a home to buy. Well during our marriage, we either adopted or rescued 14 cats. I unfortunately developed several serious illnesses that caused me to have to go on disability. i was at home with the cats 24/7 and grew to love them like my own children. It was devastating that I had to move away from them, but of course would not chose them over my son. I have always loved animals and was having extreme difficulty emotionally being away from my cats. I had started going to counseling for other issues I had in my life but my therapist said that I should consider getting a pet. Due to the fact that my son and my other two children, all grown, are allergic to cats I chose to adopt a small dog-a Pekingese. She only weighs 8 pounds and is a very calm and affectionate dog. Due to neglect, she had to have all but two teeth pulled. Well I told my husband about her and he immediately told me I could not bring her when I came home for a visit. I was shocked and devastated that he would say this. I told him she was staying with several dogs and cats at the rescue where I had adopted her. The owner of the rescue said she never got into fights with th other dogs or cats..she enjoyed all of them. I passed this information on to my husband, but he will not budge. He said he does not want "some dog" to upset HIS cats! I can't believe he is doing this to me. He refuses to let me see them, and it doesn't seem to bother him that he won't be seeing me either. I am not going to put my dog Cindy in a boarding kennel, she was taken from a puppy mill and lived in deplorable conditions. I do not want to upset her ny more than she has been. I m extremely upset that my husband is keeping me away from my kitties..it is causing me to be even more depressed.

I would like to know if he is legally allowed to refuse to let me in our home and keep me from visiting my cats. Do I have any legal recourse?

Thank you for any advice anyone is able to give me.

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Just because your dog gets along with other animals doesn't mean that the cats in the possession of your husband would welcome a canine visitor.

I won't let Princess bring home any kittehs from the animal shelter she volunteers at because our cat does not like other kittehs. :cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am not able to do that as I do not have any friends where I live. I only moved here 6 months ago. My home town is more than 2 hours away.
Then tie the dog up outside, or find a kennel, or leave the dog with one of your grown children.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I have been married for 9 years, it will be 10 years in Sptember of 2014. For reasons that have no impact on my question, I had to move from my husband's home state of New York back to my home state of Pennsylvania. I will say that my son, who is Autistic and did not want to move to New York when I re-married, lives here in PA. He was having some emotional problems so that is one of the reasons I moved back.

My husband and I both agreed on this decision and he assured me he would begin to look for a job here in a few years so we could find a home to buy. Well during our marriage, we either adopted or rescued 14 cats. I unfortunately developed several serious illnesses that caused me to have to go on disability. i was at home with the cats 24/7 and grew to love them like my own children. It was devastating that I had to move away from them, but of course would not chose them over my son. I have always loved animals and was having extreme difficulty emotionally being away from my cats. I had started going to counseling for other issues I had in my life but my therapist said that I should consider getting a pet. Due to the fact that my son and my other two children, all grown, are allergic to cats I chose to adopt a small dog-a Pekingese. She only weighs 8 pounds and is a very calm and affectionate dog. Due to neglect, she had to have all but two teeth pulled. Well I told my husband about her and he immediately told me I could not bring her when I came home for a visit. I was shocked and devastated that he would say this. I told him she was staying with several dogs and cats at the rescue where I had adopted her. The owner of the rescue said she never got into fights with th other dogs or cats..she enjoyed all of them. I passed this information on to my husband, but he will not budge. He said he does not want "some dog" to upset HIS cats! I can't believe he is doing this to me. He refuses to let me see them, and it doesn't seem to bother him that he won't be seeing me either. I am not going to put my dog Cindy in a boarding kennel, she was taken from a puppy mill and lived in deplorable conditions. I do not want to upset her ny more than she has been. I m extremely upset that my husband is keeping me away from my kitties..it is causing me to be even more depressed.

I would like to know if he is legally allowed to refuse to let me in our home and keep me from visiting my cats. Do I have any legal recourse?

Thank you for any advice anyone is able to give me.
We had a long-time member of the forum named sandyclaus. She was very bright. I was sort of hoping you would live up to her name . . . . .

You have no legal recourse. You could, however, take your dog with you to visit your cats (and your husband) and then leave your dog with a friend you have in New York.

You probably would have been smart to consult with your husband before purchasing a dog.

sandyclaus30

Just because your dog gets along with other animals doesn't mean that the cats in the possession of your husband would welcome a canine visitor.

I won't let Princess bring home any kittehs from the animal shelter she volunteers at because our cat does not like other kittehs. :cool:
We have a spare bedroom that I would be able to let Cindy stay in during my visit. I would also like to add that my husband has, in the past, been controlling with me in several instances.

I am not getting the answers to my questions. Is my husband *legally* allowed to bar me from my home, even though there are ways to bring the dog along without upsetting the cats. There is no reason why he should mind Cindy staying in the spare room.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The "why" of your move may very well matter. It's too bad that you have decided that it's irrelevant to the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">