• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petition to show cause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mgiammo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? INdiana

My EX-daughter in law filed a Petition to show cause to get some money my son has been unable to pay in full. The paperwork states that my son is the "petitioner" and she is the "respondent". was this filled out correctly. Sorry I know next to zero about legal matters. And if this legal document is wrong is it legal? It also has his name Vs Her name. Thanks for any help.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? INdiana

My EX-daughter in law filed a Petition to show cause to get some money my son has been unable to pay in full. The paperwork states that my son is the "petitioner" and she is the "respondent". was this filled out correctly. Sorry I know next to zero about legal matters. And if this legal document is wrong is it legal? It also has his name Vs Her name. Thanks for any help.
If he was the petitioner in the original divorce case, then he remains the petitioner for every follow up action. Therefore no, the paperwork is probably not wrong.

CourtClerk

She's bringing him in to explain to a judge why he hasn't done what the court has already told him he must do.

In other words, your son is violating a court order in some way... and he owes the court an explanation....

Golfball

A petition to show cause is a request by one party to the court to require the opposing party to appear and explain themselves regarding the subject of the show cause request.

From what you've told us, your son owes money to his X, hasn't paid it in full, and X wants to know why, have it as part of the court record, and ensure (to the best of one's ability) that the truth is told.

CourtClerk

A petition to show cause is a request by one party to the court to require the opposing party to appear and explain themselves regarding the subject of the show cause request.

From what you've told us, your son owes money to his X, hasn't paid it in full, and X wants to know why, have it as part of the court record, and ensure (to the best of one's ability) that the truth is told.
Hey..... where you been, man?

Bali Hai

Good explanation. And this all does NOT mean that her son is automatically in contempt of court just because her ex D in L wants him to be.

LdiJ

Good explanation. And this all does NOT mean that her son is automatically in contempt of court just because her ex D in L wants him to be.
True, but OP admits in the first post that the son has not paid money he was ordered to pay. Therefore odds are that the judge is going to find him in contempt.

Odds are its either property settlement money or child support. Alimony is fairly rare in Indiana. If its child support, the judge will come down on him hard.

Golfball

Hey..... where you been, man?
Erm... busy. Verrry busy.

In order:
New home (I moved from NC to MI), new kid (my now-wife's son), new job (yay!), new spouse (yay!), and another new kid (he almost 4 months old, cute as a button, and HUGE. (18.62 lbs last week) My wife makes them cute, I make them big. :D ). What spare time? Heck, I don't even have a PC plugged in at home right now, which is a stark comparison to my bachelor (and 1st marriage) days.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Erm... busy. Verrry busy.

In order:
New home (I moved from NC to MI), new kid (my now-wife's son), new job (yay!), new spouse (yay!), and another new kid (he almost 4 months old, cute as a button, and HUGE. (18.62 lbs last week) My wife makes them cute, I make them big. :D ). What spare time? Heck, I don't even have a PC plugged in at home right now, which is a stark comparison to my bachelor (and 1st marriage) days.
OH but you love it. And if you get to Ohio you need to look me up :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">