• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petitioner filed NOM of motion to set up pretrial conference

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

testabc

State - IL
Hi, Myself and my husband agreed on marital settlement agreement. I was still reviewing the initial drat shared. Meanwhile Petitioner attorney filed NOM of motion to set pretrial conference. As I am fine with pretrial conference do I need to still visit court when petitioner attorney is going to court to hear notice of motion. I belive he will be just provided with a date for pretrial conference. Do I need to still appear in court when motion is heard. Also do I need to still respond to motion filed. Can I oppose the motion filed. If so how can I oppose. May be I need a direct trial instead of pre trial in that case can I oppose and say that. If I need to respond to motion filed what is the time limit to respond. What if hearing for motion is already completed before I oppose/ file my response. As we agreed on MSA I didn't hire any attorney and representing myself. So I have questions for this motion filed. I really appreciate your quick response. As I wanted to know if I need to appear in court for hearing of motion filed and do I need to oppose/ respond. Thank you so much in advance

tranquility

State - IL
Hi, Myself and my husband agreed on marital settlement agreement. I was still reviewing the initial drat shared. Meanwhile Petitioner attorney filed NOM of motion to set pretrial conference. As I am fine with pretrial conference do I need to still visit court when petitioner attorney is going to court to hear notice of motion. I belive he will be just provided with a date for pretrial conference. Do I need to still appear in court when motion is heard. Also do I need to still respond to motion filed. Can I oppose the motion filed. If so how can I oppose. May be I need a direct trial instead of pre trial in that case can I oppose and say that. If I need to respond to motion filed what is the time limit to respond. What if hearing for motion is already completed before I oppose/ file my response. As we agreed on MSA I didn't hire any attorney and representing myself. So I have questions for this motion filed. I really appreciate your quick response. As I wanted to know if I need to appear in court for hearing of motion filed and do I need to oppose/ respond. Thank you so much in advance
I might suppose "NOM" is a notice of motion and "MSA" is a marital settlement agreement, but why should I suppose? Write it out as though we don't know what is going on. Because, we don't. We like pithy and short, but it would take even one with specific knowledge of civil procedure to have a chance to know what you are talking about. What is your concern? What is your question(s)?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
In general, missing a court appearance is never a good move. If you can't/won't hire a lawyer? Go to court. No matter what it's for.

testabc

Sorry, didn't mean to use abbreviations

Sorry, I didn't mean to use abbreviations. All this process is very new to me. I copied what it said on Notice of motion. Yes,NOM is notice of motion and MSA - Marital settlement aggrement. It says that they will present petitioner's motion to set pretrial conference and for which counsel may be heard. My question is do I need to go to court when this motion is heard. As document doesn't say if I need to appear in court or not. If they will be given only with a date for pre trial conference then am fine. So in that case also do I need to appear in court when counsel may be heard for notice of motion. I believe answer to motion is called as oppose motion. Do I need to answer to notice of motion even though I am fine with it.

Again my apologies if I didn't mention something clearly as I am new to this forum also. Appreciate your reply. Thank you!!

tranquility

Sorry, I didn't mean to use abbreviations. All this process is very new to me. I copied what it said on Notice of motion. Yes,NOM is notice of motion and MSA - Marital settlement aggrement. It says that they will present petitioner's motion to set pretrial conference and for which counsel may be heard. My question is do I need to go to court when this motion is heard. As document doesn't say if I need to appear in court or not. If they will be given only with a date for pre trial conference then am fine. So in that case also do I need to appear in court when counsel may be heard for notice of motion. I believe answer to motion is called as oppose motion. Do I need to answer to notice of motion even though I am fine with it.

Again my apologies if I didn't mention something clearly as I am new to this forum also. Appreciate your reply. Thank you!!
http://www.law.siu.edu/_common/documents/law-journal/articles-2014/5%20-%20Dellinger%20Article%20-%20Final.pdf

testabc

Thank you for your reply stealth2. So you are saying even though notice of motion doesn't say anything for me to appear in court still I need to go. Sure, I will go and Thank you so much for your quick response.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you for your reply stealth2. So you are saying even though notice of motion doesn't say anything for me to appear in court still I need to go. Sure, I will go and Thank you so much for your quick response.
It's really not wise to miss any hearings relating to your case, even if you don't see any other reason to go.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">