• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pets in the Middle Like Children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

woolabro

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My ex-fiance and I have been seperated for almost 6 months now. She had brought two dogs into our relationship from her previous relationship. They were gifts to her. In the 4 years we were together I took total control over the care for both of them since she worked so much. I have receipts and records that show I bought food, treats and vet care for them even while we were living together. When we broke up and she moved out she left both of the dogs with me. I have been their SOLE caregiver for almost 6 months now. Both are healthy and very happy with me, Recently, due to my indifference towards her "new" life she has started getting very vindictive towards me. This evening she told me she was aking the dogs to stay at her new boyfriends house, she doesnt even live there. She stated that I am basically in possesion of stolen property, even though she willfully left them with me, and regardless of my history of care for them, she has the papers, so they are hers. I know she is doing his out of spite because she knows how attached I am to them. I take them almost everywhere with me and provide a very good home that I can easily prove through witnesses. What are my rights of possesion regarding this issue and is there anything I can tell her to get her to just leave me alone and go on with her life...without the dogs?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

woolabro said:

My ex-fiance and I have been seperated for almost 6 months now. She had brought two dogs into our relationship from her previous relationship. They were gifts to her. In the 4 years we were together I took total control over the care for both of them since she worked so much. I have receipts and records that show I bought food, treats and vet care for them even while we were living together. When we broke up and she moved out she left both of the dogs with me. I have been their SOLE caregiver for almost 6 months now. Both are healthy and very happy with me, Recently, due to my indifference towards her "new" life she has started getting very vindictive towards me. This evening she told me she was aking the dogs to stay at her new boyfriends house, she doesnt even live there. She stated that I am basically in possesion of stolen property, even though she willfully left them with me, and regardless of my history of care for them, she has the papers, so they are hers. I know she is doing his out of spite because she knows how attached I am to them. I take them almost everywhere with me and provide a very good home that I can easily prove through witnesses. What are my rights of possesion regarding this issue and is there anything I can tell her to get her to just leave me alone and go on with her life...without the dogs?

My response:

She abandoned the dogs. Tell her to explain her reasoning to a judge.

IAAL

LdiJ

woolabro said:

Dogs are property. If she has paperwork showing that she is the owner of the dogs its tricky whether or not she could go to the police and claim that you stole her property.

However she did abandon the dogs to you and if it went to civil rather than criminal court I agree with IAAL.

I just see at least some minor risk of her attempting to make it criminal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">