• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Planning ahead...should wife be on House title?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Wife and I are about to buy a house and I'm wondering if I should put the wife's name on the house or not.

Marriage has been turbulent, and usually fix the issues, but we've been married for only 2 years and its not been enjoyable. We are buying a house because I have the money and I want to buy a house now before my wifes other ventures destroy my good credit. Wife doesn't really work, and I make $95K/yr. She's really a housewife and doesn't know anything about buying a house or how the process works. So I can easily just have the house in my name and she won't question it.

I'm just wondering, if we do get divorced say in two years or whatever, what would be easier for me to keep the house? Keep in mind my wife has been the one who's been wanting to get a divorce, not because we don't love each other, but because she has failed in many things that has led to us being in debt, lied to family, and other worse things, and have not been happy for 2 years. But for 2 years I've been trying to be supportive of her failures, but on the same side I have to think ahead.

I'm not trying to get a divorce and right now things have been OK. But I'm just wondering, since I believe in CA she gets half of everything, and I was just trying to see, if the time comes, is it better that her name is on the house with my name, or if it was just my name, then do I get to keep it in the divorce?

We've talked about divorce before and we don't want it to be ugly if it happend, so she's fine with getting nothing since she has contributed nothing (money-wise).

So just looking for advice to see if its worth it to not have her name on the title, or it won't make a difference.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She is entitled to half the house whether her name is on it or not. But the fact that you are even asking this -- don't buy a house. Divorce her. Then buy a house.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Wife and I are about to buy a house and I'm wondering if I should put the wife's name on the house or not.

Marriage has been turbulent, and usually fix the issues, but we've been married for only 2 years and its not been enjoyable. We are buying a house because I have the money and I want to buy a house now before my wifes other ventures destroy my good credit. Wife doesn't really work, and I make $95K/yr. She's really a housewife and doesn't know anything about buying a house or how the process works. So I can easily just have the house in my name and she won't question it.

I'm just wondering, if we do get divorced say in two years or whatever, what would be easier for me to keep the house? Keep in mind my wife has been the one who's been wanting to get a divorce, not because we don't love each other, but because she has failed in many things that has led to us being in debt, lied to family, and other worse things, and have not been happy for 2 years. But for 2 years I've been trying to be supportive of her failures, but on the same side I have to think ahead.

I'm not trying to get a divorce and right now things have been OK. But I'm just wondering, since I believe in CA she gets half of everything, and I was just trying to see, if the time comes, is it better that her name is on the house with my name, or if it was just my name, then do I get to keep it in the divorce?

We've talked about divorce before and we don't want it to be ugly if it happend, so she's fine with getting nothing since she has contributed nothing (money-wise).

So just looking for advice to see if its worth it to not have her name on the title, or it won't make a difference.
If you don't put her on the mortgage then you may not have to refinance if you get a divorce, but she would still be entitled to 1/2 of whatever equity exists in the home at the time of a divorce. However putting her on the deed or not putting her on the deed would make no difference at all.

I don't necessarily agree with OG's advice on this one. There is no better time to buy a home than now, if you can qualify for a mortgage. You just have to accept that she will be entitled to 1/2 of the equity and you will need to figure out how to give her that, if you divorce. Unless you put down a large down payment, it would be a few years before the home had much equity.

xylene

She is entitled to half the house whether her name is on it or not. But the fact that you are even asking this -- don't buy a house. Divorce her. Then buy a house.
A clarifying note: that she would be entitled to half the equity in the house (if any) as well as half the marital debt.

nextwife

Personally, I think you're in a pattern that's going to wreck you.

If you want her to contribute her fair share to the financial well being of the family, get her into the job market and working BEFORE agreeing to buy a house with her.

When you do buy, use as little of your own seperate premarital funds as possible (buy less house, if necessary) and borrow as much as possible. Rates are cheap. Or, have her match your DP from her own resources.

If this pattern remains, not only wuill she get half of all the premarital funds you sink in the house, she may get spousal support also. Additionally, she's not accruing anything into retirement and ss credits by not working. Better she gets active in the job market BEFORE she gets any older.

If your marriage is unhappy now, you're crazy to buy a house together.

Silverplum

How wonderful to be the beneficiaries of a noob's 20/20 hindsight...

Wow - after running into this old thread on a Google search, I love the May 2009 comment "there is no better time to buy a home than now"! I hope the guy didn't follow THAT advice...
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">