• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Planning a divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jfos1058

What is the name of your state? Florida

I am planning to file for divorce next year and my biggest concern at this time is our home. Everything is in my name. We have only owned it for a little over a year. I want to walk away from it free and cleart in order to purchase another home in another city. I have doubts my husband would qualify for a mortgage in order to buy it from me. What would be the best steps for me to take.

I doubt we could sell the home for what we owe...

Last edited:

nextwife

Unless that mortgage is refinanced or paid off, you CANNOT walk away from the obligation you entered into with that lender. That agreement remains as long as the mortgage exists. So you need to DEAL with the house, and if that means selling it for a shortfall and you both kicking in a split of that, you are better off doing that than ending up facing a large deficiency judgement a few years from now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">