• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Planning on divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shortchanged11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My husband and I were married in the Philippines while he was a permanent resident of United statest. We had a child and he filed for US citizenship. When he was granted citizenship he immediately petitioned me and our son. Now me and my son became a permanent resident and my husband and I had another child who was born here in the US. A lot has happened ever since and now I want to file for divorce. Question is where do I go to file for a divorce? How much does it cost? For now we both are unemployed. does this mean that if I get a job, I would have to support him? Because it looks like to me that he is not planning to find a job. He hasn't been working for almost 6 years and he has not even try to look for a job since he got laid off 6 years ago. I have been supporting the family for a long time until I lost my job last year. If we get divorced, is he required to support the kids? What are the pros and cons if I file for divorce?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My husband and I were married in the Philippines while he was a permanent resident of United statest. We had a child and he filed for US citizenship. When he was granted citizenship he immediately petitioned me and our son. Now me and my son became a permanent resident and my husband and I had another child who was born here in the US. A lot has happened ever since and now I want to file for divorce. Question is where do I go to file for a divorce? How much does it cost? For now we both are unemployed. does this mean that if I get a job, I would have to support him? Because it looks like to me that he is not planning to find a job. He hasn't been working for almost 6 years and he has not even try to look for a job since he got laid off 6 years ago. I have been supporting the family for a long time until I lost my job last year. If we get divorced, is he required to support the kids? What are the pros and cons if I file for divorce?
You need a lot of help. He may end up with custody of the children. If that happens, you may end up paying child support. As for spousal support, depends on how much you earn and how long you have been married. Who is supporting the family now?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You need a lot of help. He may end up with custody of the children. If that happens, you may end up paying child support. As for spousal support, depends on how much you earn and how long you have been married. Who is supporting the family now?
I'm gonna guess "me"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">