• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paso

What is the name of your state? Florida

I was told this evening by my husband of 13 years that he is filing for divorce, looking for an apartment and giving me 3 months to figure out what I need to do. I am 50 years old and was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and am currently going through the process of obtaining SSI benefits. This is his reason for leaving. He states that this is all in my head and just doesn't want to deal with this (my health problems). This is a second marriage for me and back then I was naive in the process of divorce and still am as I was not prepared for this. I have been out of work for 7 years and am unable to work due to persistant pain and depression. We have 2 mortgages on the house, large IRS debt, and 2 vehicles (both with loans). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to do to get my "ducks in a row" before he files?

LdiJ

paso said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

I was told this evening by my husband of 13 years that he is filing for divorce, looking for an apartment and giving me 3 months to figure out what I need to do. I am 50 years old and was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and am currently going through the process of obtaining SSI benefits. This is his reason for leaving. He states that this is all in my head and just doesn't want to deal with this (my health problems). This is a second marriage for me and back then I was naive in the process of divorce and still am as I was not prepared for this. I have been out of work for 7 years and am unable to work due to persistant pain and depression. We have 2 mortgages on the house, large IRS debt, and 2 vehicles (both with loans). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to do to get my "ducks in a row" before he files?
The best advice that anyone here can give you is to get yourself a good attorney. In the meantime, try to gather together copies of all the records regarding both the debts and assets of the marriage.

If you get approved for SSI you may get a lump sum to start with. Make sure that you put that in a separate bank account, in your name only.

paso

undefinedUnfortunately florida is an equitable distribution state where all debts are 50-50. He has us in debt so far we will need a backhoe to pull us out! All of the major home improvements he had me put in my name to"build up my credit" after the 4 hurricanes destroyed most of what we had. New a/c,new water conditioner,siding on the barn,brand new septic systsem with lift station and a new stove. Also for the past 8 years he had 4 corporations in his name only and dissolved 2 of them so far,but the taxes he has owed on these are just now being taken care of to the tune of over 30,000. I do not believe i can collect SSI as he makes too much and I tried for disability but once again he makes too much and they only go back a certain # of years and those first 2 no SSI was taken out of my check as it was a personal check so I think I am screwed. Is there alimony after 15 years of marriage?

LdiJ

paso said:
undefinedUnfortunately florida is an equitable distribution state where all debts are 50-50. He has us in debt so far we will need a backhoe to pull us out! All of the major home improvements he had me put in my name to"build up my credit" after the 4 hurricanes destroyed most of what we had. New a/c,new water conditioner,siding on the barn,brand new septic systsem with lift station and a new stove. Also for the past 8 years he had 4 corporations in his name only and dissolved 2 of them so far,but the taxes he has owed on these are just now being taken care of to the tune of over 30,000. I do not believe i can collect SSI as he makes too much and I tried for disability but once again he makes too much and they only go back a certain # of years and those first 2 no SSI was taken out of my check as it was a personal check so I think I am screwed. Is there alimony after 15 years of marriage?
"Equitable Distribution" does not necessarily mean that the debts will be divided 50/50 by a judge. Yes, alimony is possible. You most SINCERELY need to be consulting an attorney to protect your rights. If he is divorcing you his income will no longer matter when it comes to SSI or SSDI...although alimony might.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">