• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tracywilk

I need some advice, Wife and I separated in May

I have the children, ages 19, 16, 14, 11 and at the moment the 2 youngest go over most Friday – Sunday, the 16yo about twice a month. She is an Alcoholic and the older ones just can’t stand her because of it.

I paid everything to help her move out, about $2,500 and I continue to keep her on my Health Insurance and Pay for her Car Insurance.

Immediate problem is she has been having about 1 wreck per month for the last 3 months, the cars are in my name and so is the Insurance.

What I am worried about is several things, I have not got a divorce because I haven’t found a way to get it on what I can afford (Around $500).

1st Concern - She is barely making it each month (Alcohol) and do not want her to be able to move back in here, we are in Houston and her parents are in Ft Worth, and her brother also lives here in Houston.

2nd Concern – Is about the Cars are in my Name, and I need to take her off my car Insurance (which add to first concern). Due to all the accidents she has.

I need to protect us and am worried that when she cant make it does she have any legal means of being able to move back in here.

Last edited:

K

Kelly143

Go to your local bookstore and buy a "how to get a divorce" book. The paperwork you need is in the book, and you can file all the paperwork yourself. It also will tell you how to go about filling out the forms and filing them. You don't need a lawyer. Once you file for divorce, you won't have to let her move back in. Besides, she left by choice. I am not sure what to do about the car and the insurance, but it seems to me that if it is in your name only, then you can take it from her. Are the accidents due to her drinking? If so, I would request supervised visitation for the youngest two children because she is a danger to them. And file for chld support as well. Her drinking problem is not an excuse for not paying support for your kids.

I hope that she gets help. One would hope that you getting custody and being awarded child support would be a wake up call to her, but unfortunately, that isn't always the case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">