• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

massima

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois
My husband has filed for a divorce a year ago. The process was delayed because of me (i did not show up for the hearing once). Just a few days ago I found out that the judge wants me to pay 500 dollars to my husband because of the delay that I've caused. My question is what will happen to me if I refuse to pay it? My financial situation is really bad right now: I am unemployed and I'm staying home and taking care of my newborn baby.

VeronicaGia

massima said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois
My husband has filed for a divorce a year ago. The process was delayed because of me (i did not show up for the hearing once). Just a few days ago I found out that the judge wants me to pay 500 dollars to my husband because of the delay that I've caused. My question is what will happen to me if I refuse to pay it? My financial situation is really bad right now: I am unemployed and I'm staying home and taking care of my newborn baby.
First, you could have lost by default and you are lucky you didn't. What this means is that he could have asked for and gotten everything he wanted, and getting a default judgement set aside is nearly impossible.

Secondly, he can keep filing contempt after contempt actions against you for not paying, and he can keep hiring lawyers for these contempt actions and keep asking you to foot the bill.

Come up with the $500 and never again miss a court date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">