• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mekalla

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I recently received devastating news from my husband of almost 2 years that he no longer wants to be married to me. I also found out that he has been cheating on me from almost the beginning. He recently told me that he was going to persue an annulment instead of a divorce. We are still living in the same house together and due to my having such a difficult time moving on, I will be going home to England for a month and a half to get the proper love and support from family. At which time I'm afraid that he will try and do the annulment whilst I'm in the UK. I want to know my rights as far as being given the notice properly to be given the chance to contest it in court. We have not been getting along for sometime now and although I kept wanting to work on the marriage, he did not. I don't know on what grounds he is thinking that will give us consent to be qualified for an annulment? If anyone can help me, I would be very grateful. Thank you.

MichelleWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

TinkerBelleLuvr

Nothing works that quickly anywhere (your 6 weeks hiatus). Your husband must have you served properly, whether it is for a divorce or annulment.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I recently received devastating news from my husband of almost 2 years that he no longer wants to be married to me. I also found out that he has been cheating on me from almost the beginning. He recently told me that he was going to persue an annulment instead of a divorce. We are still living in the same house together and due to my having such a difficult time moving on, I will be going home to England for a month and a half to get the proper love and support from family. At which time I'm afraid that he will try and do the annulment whilst I'm in the UK. I want to know my rights as far as being given the notice properly to be given the chance to contest it in court. We have not been getting along for sometime now and although I kept wanting to work on the marriage, he did not. I don't know on what grounds he is thinking that will give us consent to be qualified for an annulment? If anyone can help me, I would be very grateful. Thank you.

MichelleWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Unless there's quite a bit more that you're not telling about, it's extremely unlikely that he will get an annulment. It's far easier and quicker to get a divorce.

If he has not yet served you, then he's not going to be able to get a divorce while you're gone. There are ways to get a divorce without serving the other party, but I don't know of any that will happen in 6 weeks.

If he has already served you, get an attorney who can handle the paperwork in your absence. In fact, it's probably worth consulting with an attorney, anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">