• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LegalQuery

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Ok so I have been talking to this girl online. We have been friends for awhile but having talked so much and about so many things we've gotten to the point where we actually love each other. I know that sounds weird, I really do care about her. Problem is, she's married. Now, she has repeatedly tried to divorce him but he won't sign the papers. He is abusive, verbally and physically, and constantly demeans her. I was going to be helping her move out into her own place this week, but he grew suspicious. Because of this, he took her computer and was able to find old conversations we had. He stole her hard drive. I would just really look at this and say so what, shes leaving you, likes she's been trying to do for the longest time. Problem is, she has two small boys. She's worried that if she has to go to court, he can use our conversations to say that she is cheating/committing adultery. I want to know if us talking and saying that we love each other and can't wait to be together constitutes adultery. I haven't been to see her and we haven't done anything of a sexual nature, which is what many would say is cheating. I just can't find any answers to this and I was wondering what grounds he could use, if any. Thank you.

Proserpina

Ok so I have been talking to this girl online. We have been friends for awhile but having talked so much and about so many things we've gotten to the point where we actually love each other. I know that sounds weird, I really do care about her. Problem is, she's married. Now, she has repeatedly tried to divorce him but he won't sign the papers. He is abusive, verbally and physically, and constantly demeans her. I was going to be helping her move out into her own place this week, but he grew suspicious. Because of this, he took her computer and was able to find old conversations we had. He stole her hard drive. I would just really look at this and say so what, shes leaving you, likes she's been trying to do for the longest time. Problem is, she has two small boys. She's worried that if she has to go to court, he can use our conversations to say that she is cheating/committing adultery. I want to know if us talking and saying that we love each other and can't wait to be together constitutes adultery. I haven't been to see her and we haven't done anything of a sexual nature, which is what many would say is cheating. I just can't find any answers to this and I was wondering what grounds he could use, if any. Thank you.
I hate to be the voice of cynicism but I'm not sure she's being completely straight with you.

You were ready to help out and her husband just happened to become suspicious right at that time and discovered what was happening? That may be a coincidence..but it's something of a red flag.

Either way, she doesn't need his signature or permission to file for divorce. There is nothing stopping her from at least leaving and filing for separation - specially considering the abuse. She does have that documented, right?

I hope I'm wrong - for your sake - but I seem to have heard of this situation a few hundred times. It usually involves subtle requests for financial help too, to help get the person back on their feet, but again - I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She doesn't have to have him sign anything in order for her to get a divorce. What you are doing does NOT constitute adultery but quite frankly I think you are being played.

Bali Hai

My advice:

Get into a real relationship or buy an inflatable doll.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">