• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help/Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

i3utterfli82

I am in Florida. To make this simple. My boyfriend got married last August, it was a spur of the moment thing that lasted until October (2 months, the only dated "maybe" a month before that) This is when she moved out and wanted a divorce. They didn't have any children together, and financially neither one supported one another. No house, no car, no bank account. She told him her lawyer would take care of it and it would be as simple as signing a paper at the courthouse. It is now May and nothing has been done. They haven't spoken in over 3 months, and when they do nothing gets resolved. My boyfriend wants to get this over with but for whatever reason is waiting for her to make the first move. My question is, if any more time passes by will she be able to receive any money from him, or rather, is she holding out for any reason in which she would get something out of the marriage? She knows much more about the legal system them him or myself. Please give me some insight on this situation.
Thanks,
Stephanie

B

Boxcarbill

i3utterfli82 said:
I am in Florida. To make this simple. My boyfriend got married last August, it was a spur of the moment thing that lasted until October (2 months, the only dated "maybe" a month before that) This is when she moved out and wanted a divorce. They didn't have any children together, and financially neither one supported one another. No house, no car, no bank account. She told him her lawyer would take care of it and it would be as simple as signing a paper at the courthouse. It is now May and nothing has been done. They haven't spoken in over 3 months, and when they do nothing gets resolved. My boyfriend wants to get this over with but for whatever reason is waiting for her to make the first move. My question is, if any more time passes by will she be able to receive any money from him, or rather, is she holding out for any reason in which she would get something out of the marriage? She knows much more about the legal system them him or myself. Please give me some insight on this situation.
Thanks,
Stephanie
Maybe the boyfriend is not pushing the divorce because so long as he's married, he doesn't have to worry about getting into another marriage.

I

i3utterfli82

I talked to him about that, Its more of a money issue. He doesn't want to have to put out money for this divorce in which she wanted. I also would like to add she has been married once before, and has 2 children, which he was never involved with.

I

i3utterfli82

there is a possible chance we could get married and have children.

C

cyana

Well, Ms. "Butterfli"

I suggest your sweetie get off his duff and file himself. In an uncontested, no asset, no children divorce, it may be a simple as paying the filing fee for a "Petition for Divorce". In DE it was $75.
FL Family court has a great website - with many forms.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">