• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help, Advice Really Needed. Military Consented Divorce.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bamagirl88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AL

I am wanting to file for divorce from my emotionally abusive husband who is an active military member, Army to be exact. We are not living together anymore and have split any property we did have before which was not much at all, he wontsign the papers and is wanting to drag this out for as long as he can just to make me miserable is what he has told me. We have no children, no house, and we have our own cars in our own names. I really want to get out of this marraige and move on with my life. What can I do? He did not like me working when we were together and on several occasions got me to quit a job because he wanted me home to be there for him. Therefore I have very little money and can not afford a long drawn out divorce nor a lawyer. He supported me throughout our whole marraige. I know that was a mistake I made letting him do that, but definitely lesson learned. I am not even getting the portion of our BAH I am supposed to be getting until the divorce is final, he won't return my messages or calls about any of these matters and I am at a loss of what to do. He is stationed in Colorado but I have no idea where he lives, so if I file in Alabama and I do not know where he lives can I run the announcement in the paper and if he does not respond possibly be granted my divorce? Any advice would be so helpful, thank you for taking the time to read.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AL

I am wanting to file for divorce from my emotionally abusive husband who is an active military member, Army to be exact. We are not living together anymore and have split any property we did have before which was not much at all, he wontsign the papers and is wanting to drag this out for as long as he can just to make me miserable is what he has told me. We have no children, no house, and we have our own cars in our own names. I really want to get out of this marraige and move on with my life. What can I do? He did not like me working when we were together and on several occasions got me to quit a job because he wanted me home to be there for him. Therefore I have very little money and can not afford a long drawn out divorce nor a lawyer. He supported me throughout our whole marraige. I know that was a mistake I made letting him do that, but definitely lesson learned. I am not even getting the portion of our BAH I am supposed to be getting until the divorce is final, he won't return my messages or calls about any of these matters and I am at a loss of what to do. He is stationed in Colorado but I have no idea where he lives, so if I file in Alabama and I do not know where he lives can I run the announcement in the paper and if he does not respond possibly be granted my divorce? Any advice would be so helpful, thank you for taking the time to read.
You can get a divorce by publication, but you'll probably need an attorney to do it properly. You should also talk with someone at the Army (I think there's an office set up for spouse issues) to ask them. If he's not giving you any support, including things that you should be benefiting from, he is in violation of Army policies. At the very least, they may track him down for you.

LdiJ

You can get a divorce by publication, but you'll probably need an attorney to do it properly. You should also talk with someone at the Army (I think there's an office set up for spouse issues) to ask them. If he's not giving you any support, including things that you should be benefiting from, he is in violation of Army policies. At the very least, they may track him down for you.
Contact his command. He is required to provide you support (part of his BAH) under military rules. If you contact his command and force him to provide that support he may suddenly get far more cooperative about signing the paperwork for the divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">